ad: MyersEng-1

QRZ Assistant now available in Google Play

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI4P

KI4P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

now, when, or is there, an app for iPhone?

KM5BOR likes this.
  2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Xamarin is a Microsoft ploy to become relevant in the smartphone arena. They failed miserably with Windows Phone and are now trying to embrace everything else in sight now that Windows is no longer the revenue source that it used to be.

I will admit that I liked the Visual Studio C# environment when I wrote some code for it a few years back. Basically, if you are willing to be language agnostic and use C#, it's okay from an IDE point of view - i.e. very robust. It's the go-to platform for writing anything that will run on Windows, plus a few other things like Android (new), IOS (new), and some Mac (new).

I've been trying to find an illustrative example that would sum up my displeasure with their approach. How about this one: Your spouse is from a foreign land. You don't speak their language and they don't speak yours. Their mother, however, speaks both languages fluently. Bingo! A solution, right? Well, not if you don't mind bring Mom along everywhere you go, for now until eternity because neither of you are ever going to learn the other's language. I suppose that's okay because it IS a solution, but, what kind of solution? You have to buy an extra plate at dinner, an extra seat on the train, an extra room for the house because Mom doesn't come without care and feeding requirements. If Mom ever goes into the hospital, you're both screwed and you sincerely pray that she pulls through OK.

The point here is that such a solution uses Microsoft to be your mother-in-law and she's no spring chicken. The Microsoft libraries and code that perform the translation are often times larger than the application itself. And then there is the issue of a black box standing between your code and the underlying operating system. In effect, it adds a proxy operating system between the two parts. In my opinion, both IOS and Android each have enough problems of their own and each of them are subject to distributing updates that break Xamarin in such a way that you fall behind in the usual upgrade cycle, waiting for Xamarin to catch up to them.

So, to summarize, I'm not in favor of adding a proxy operating system to "help" my app run on both platforms. You cannot, for example, code something for Android and let Xamarin run it on IOS. Nope, you have to code the application for Xamarin and let it run on both platforms, thereby losing the performance and unique benefits native coding can provide. In essence, it makes both versions suck at the same time.

Xamarin has been reviewed and determined to be a great fit for vertical, enterprise or corporate applications and not such a great fit for consumer facing apps. I'm sure there are exceptions to this (there always are), but in this case I remain skeptical.

73, -fred

3. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

There IS an iPhone app for QRZ, which has been available for quite some time. In the AppStore, look for Callsign Search and the QRZ Globe logo. This app is created and maintained by Neil Kutchera, K4FV an independent software developer.

KI4P likes this.
  4. AI5EF

AI5EF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the hard work! Works smooth as butter for me.

5. UT5FC

UT5FC Ham Member QRZ Page

Great application! Many thanks Fred!!
    Best 73,
    VaL UT5FC

6. PE1FWM

PE1FWM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking awesome. I will use it a lot.
    Best 73's
    Evert-Jan - PE1FWM.

7. W6LDX

W6LDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very good job Fred, but I have an iPhone and on my iPad have all of the DXCC countries list and headings for Mesa and have to go back and forth between one and the other to do what you have developed for the Android. If at some point you do learn Chinese, Good deal, but don't do it just out of pressure from iPhone users. Chok che doy!
    Thom - W6LDX
    Mesa, AZ

KM5BOR likes this.
  8. W3TWG

W3TWG Ham Member QRZ Page

This great! Thanks Fred!

9. BI8DGQ

BI8DGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice App. Fred.
    Looking forward to iOS.
    Thanks & 73.

10. K7PNW

K7PNW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Makes me want to run out and buy a smart phone! No, really!

11. W0ICQ

W0ICQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Love It! Outstanding job! Thanks for the hard work!

12. NQ0RP

NQ0RP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the hard work Fred, awesome job, much appreciated.

13. AA3DP

AA3DP Volunteer DX Helper Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Hi Mr Fred you did very good job about for Osman Demir TA2LP he is very smart amateur operation in Turkey I saw him face to face also he is very active in air ...

14. TA4RC

TA4RC Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice App. Fred, Thanks & 73.TA4RC Ali

15. TA2L

TA2L Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks & 73.TA2LP Osman DEMÄ°R