ad: chuckmartin

Peter, PW BEST G8BLS SK 23 December 2015

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Dec 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

PW BEST G8BLS SK 23 December 2015

http://www.fdars.org.uk/

My Friend Peter
    By Mike Rolph M0MCY
    If you are reading this, then it means that my good friend Peter Best, (G8BLS to all his radio friends) has gone "silent key" or, if you are not into radio, passed away after a short fight with illness 23 December
    I find this the hardest message I have ever had to send out, but what can I say about a man who gave so much to so many people.
    Well, I first met Peter just over 5 years ago when he was a tutor on the Foundation Course I was taking at the age of 62 - my first contact with Amateur Radio. Peter left me with a lasting impression of a man who would do anything to help anyone.
    Somehow, Peter singled me out as someone who had an enquiring mind and enjoyed a challenge and we soon became good friends I often listened to his stories from his youth and working life whilst drinking tea in my conservatory. Peter could always solve any problem and was always willing to help each and everyone.
    One of the nicest things was to be welcomed into Peter's home and meet his lovely wife Sue and their sons, Carl and Mark. It has been a privilege to know them all and in some small way help in Peter's final struggle.
    One of the hardest things in the future will be having to adjust my stock reply when someone has a problem I can't resolve, which was "ask Peter".
    You will always be with us in spirit - R.I.P. Peter G8BLS - one of the nicest men I have ever had the pleasure of calling "friend".
    Further information to follow once I have spoken to the family.
    73 de Mike M0MCY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My Sincere Sympathy and Condolences to all who knew Mr Best.

73 K2HAT Lee Hatfield

2. M0HKB

M0HKB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've known Peter for the last fifteen years or so and can honestly say he was what I would class as a true radio Ham. An Elmer to many, in fact a fountain of knowledge, he was one of those guys who'd dabbled in all aspects of the hobby and was always keen to impart his knowledge to others. I cannot begin to count the number of youngsters he encouraged and took through the various licence classes via the Scouts. He was an operator - he loved nothing more than portable operations down on the beach. I was always amazed by the tales of working VK long path on QRP from the salt marshes. He was also the Chairman of the Felixstowe & DARS for a number of years - we could not have wished for a finer chairman who has left a huge voide and some very big shoes for Mike M0MCY to fill. What more can I say? He will be deeply missed and this is a tremendous loss to the radio community in Suffolk.

[​IMG]

Keiron M0HKB

K2HAT likes this.