ad: portazero-1

Pandemic morse practice or not ?

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by G5WCW, Jul 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the years it has become so much easier to become proficient in the noble art of morse code.
    My initiation into the mode came not by choice but by enrolment into a morse class by my fathers friend Phil G4SPZ.

In 1992 the teaching method for the mandatory test was, learn the alphabet & 1 to 0 using flash cards, Then have letters sent to you at a speed increasing to 12wpm as time went on.

You would invariably hit a mental block at around 10wpm or freeze when you preempted the next letter.

Eventually i passed the test & forgot about morse completely for 9 years until an operation put me off work for 8 weeks .
    The time was filled by unplugging the mic & plugging in a paddle, It was only then i realised how much damage the old style teaching caused.
    It took years to unlearn the write it down approach & study the Farnsworth method & take code in the head.

I'm amazed at the amount of people now who say they haven't learned the code because nobody has taught them, The real reason is they dont want to put in a bit of effort.

If you can't learn on your own, With modern software, Something is really wrong.

I hear people say they don't get time to practice & improve,
    What in a worldwide lockdown !

Have any of you used the time wisely ?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    G0CIQ and G4SSG like this.
  2. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why?

3. G5WCW

It stimulates the brain of the Ham after they pass the questions & answers memory test, Sorry i meant the USA amateur exam.

4. AA5BK

that does not answer the question. Looks like your at a loss for a good reason. Gotcha.

5. G5WCW

Not everyone wants to learn morse code, it's personal choice.
    I used the lockdown enforcement to increase head copy speed.

Whatever you do in life or the hobby, Enjoy it & don't fritter away time.
    (You can never get it back)

Learning code opens up a whole new aspect of the hobby, An MTR & a PP3 battery gives hours of contacts.

CW IS FUN !

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    G0CIQ, US7IGN and KD4FBD like this.
  6. KD4FBD

KD4FBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Gross my guy. Quick question - do you talk to people like that in person, or just on the internet? How is your jaw?

7. AA5BK

I do have debates like that in person. All the time. Even with my children and grandchildren.

My jaw is fine. Never had a fight in a debate. Interesting your response is violence. I would expect nothing less. It's who you are, it's what you are. You put a picture of yourself as a soldier on your profile. A killing machine. That's what you want the world to have as a first impression? A man of violence and death. You in that mode matters more to you than anything else.

Thus I would want nothing to do with you in a debate. I would want no association.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  8. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I learned the telegraph, I made about a dozen voice QSO...

PY2NEA and G5WCW like this.
  9. G5WCW

Why is it some people always have to argue, Especially when hiding behind anonymity.

Like politicians, Swift & large of mouth but only going out with security guards & armoured limo.

I can't help noticing that one side has a picture & address.
    The other has a po box & hides behind a cat.

I guess we know who would have the courage of their own conviction.

No doubt Tiddles fights his own battles !

KD4FBD likes this.
  10. G5WCW

11. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Way to take that in the wrong direction and prove his point. He was simply eluding to that talking to people in such a manner in person will eventually get that person knocked around.

KD4FBD likes this.
  12. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Used pandemic time to upgrade to general, become a VE and change call signs. Joined the Long Island CW club but something nearly always comes up to keep me from attending the online classes.

For instance, last week I got called to a motor vehicle accident just as my wife and I were leaving our dinner spot at 5 pm and class was at 8 pm. I got home at 15 mins 'til 8 and logged in. Half way through class I got an important phone call about the accident and had to miss the rest. I'm still rolling along at my own pace in between the periods of busy. I recently found the best time to listen to code is at work. Sounds odd, right? I listen to code as I'm doing tasks at my desk so I'm not too busy but it's also not the center of my attention. I'm still listening just enough that I am copying without giving much dedicated thought. This way I'm not concentrating so hard that I'm dooming myself by counting dashes or dots or visualizing the code chart in my head.

G0CIQ, KD4FBD and G5WCW like this.
  13. AA5BK

Read back the posts. I just asked why. You went on a rant about my nation. Now your making a defence for something someone else said?

I have no physical address so I have a po box. I am anything but anonymous.

14. G5WCW

Sometimes having it on in the background gives amazing results.

15. G5WCW

A rant about your nation ???
    I don't think pointing out that even a goldfish could pass a modern ham exam is a rant !

Defending other people is a basic human concept that seems to be lost on someone who berates American soldiers.

Not being anonymous is a matter of opinion.

I'm sorry your homeless! 20210823_113225.jpg