ad: UR5CDX-1

NOAA and NASA Say Solar Cycle 25 Has Begun

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Sep 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N1IPU

One search on the worst seach engine. One. I say Troll , trolling.

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is an interesting digression from the thread. But fails to support your premise.

This thread is about Cycle 25 and the effects on propagation. Indeed, as K5XS alluded to, HF propagation.

All these references deal with couplings with tertiary effects (as I mentioned already) none of which relate to dominant impacts on HF propagation. Indeed, as stated by me: "The magnetosphere is , at best, a tertiary 'driver' on HF propagation modes."

Could you kindly provide a reference which shows that the 'magnetospheric decline' has produced noticeable effects on HF propagation?

Please: no digressive posts on unrelated science, or 'Daily Mail' assertions, all of which listed so far fail to constitute fact in support of your statement.

Thanks,

W1YW

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I get the point that there’s other things involved in propagation besides just solar flux. Clearly, the Earth’ magnetic field has an effect on where charged particles go. If the Earth’s field changes, there may be changes in the ionosphere. I suppose in the extreme case, if the Earth’s magnetic poles completely flip, we would notice some sort of propagation change. I could not lay out the mathematics of that or provide experimental evidence, or even cite the scientific literature .. but it just seems like that should not be controversial.

My thoughts on it go to magnitude of any effects that may be occurring in our lifetimes, how it would be measured, how to distinquish from normal fluctuations, and in particular, whether ham radio is sensitive enough to be affected in any noticeable degree.

But regardless, is there anything we can do about it? If not, then why worry about it.

5. N1IPU

I think the balance of hams understand the materiel. Considering your posting history I refuse to respond to your trolling.

N6MEJ likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a shame that you don't respond to Ron cordially (the post before you), because Ron certainly has scientific training (including a Ph.D.) that you may benefit from learning.

Based on various ham-available publications, I do believe that the vast majority of hams do indeed understand and delight in the effects which impact HF propagation. We learn a fair amount of it in preparation for the ham exams, for example. These include, especially UV (diurnal effects) and solar flux (sunspot cycle). Magnetospheric decline is not mentioned in these publications--such as the ARRL Handbook, ARRL Antenna Book, and so on, because there is no factual basis to show it has any importance on HF propagation.

Regards.
    W1YW

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

N1IPU is discussing PRESENT effects of 'magnetospheric decline' on HF propagation.

There are no facts that support that. Nothing controversial about facts that don't exist.

No one here has discussed pole flips. Just magnetospheric decline.

8. N1IPU

Mainstream science has a history of suppressing information that goes against the narrative. Then there are trolls who like to think they can suppress discussion asking over and over for information so they can discount it like some above. No evidence will every be good enough for those operating in clown world for trolls.
    It's really not a matter of worry and my original post was to how we cannot know how propagation will work out in the future considering a weakening field when solar storms that would not effect us a decade ago can and will now and into the near future.

N3FAA likes this.
  9. N1IPU

It was directed to those who exist in clown world not to the poster your trying to attribute it to. But you already know that as we all know.

10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I’m one of the “balance of hams” and agree with W1YW, you haven’t even come close to convincing me.

And now you bring up the “mainstream science is biased” routine and canard. Sorry, that’s not a magic incantation to let you avoid showing actual data and theory to support your supposition.

BTW, it’s not enough to show titles of papers that seem to have something to do with the ionosphere and the magnetosphere. You actually need to read them and see if they support what you claim.

AD5IN likes this.
  11. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You completely missed the point. And selectively quoting the first paragraph without the second, distorted the context.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, what was the point? Does your point relate to N1IPU's assertion about the 'magnetospheric decline affecting the ionosphere'?

As in present tense?

I addressed in full your statement encompassing the first paragraph. I did no selective editing. Your second paragraph is a second paragraph--because it addresses a separate thought.

There is no 'distortion' Ron.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand this emphasis on disrespectful assertions about other people.

What are you trying to say?

Cordially,

W1YW

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose some of these definitively encompassing assertions have a basis on a few select examples--I won't discount that.

But who cares? Not relevant.

The relevant question is : does the 'magnetospheric decline produce an effect on HF propagation? If so, what evidence (read: facts) evince this?

Not 100,000 years from now... but in the context of the solar cycle, and especially SC25--the topic on this thread.

Regards,

W1YW

15. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

NEWS TO ME!!! Bands could be any Deader, except on FT8. Lotta Route 66 activity, but other wise,they are a GHOST TOWN!!