ad: Alphaant-1

New replacement for now defunct HRD Yahoo group.

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by M1BCM, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. M1BCM

M1BCM Ham Member QRZ Page

Most people get approved within a few minutes. Nothing wrong with my tone, i simply asked a reasonable question. It is after all a "closed" group, which by definition means that people have to join to get the benefits of it. I suggest you examine your own character before judgeing anyone else.

2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave you a reasonable answer. Nor did I judge your character. No need for you to be upset.

But like Steve, and likely others reading, your rashness has put me off from ever wanting to join. I can get all the abuse I want right here!

3. M1BCM

There's no attitude going on here, the group was created as a closed group, as was the original HRD group, were you a member there ? .. if so then i see no problem, any HRD user is very welcome to join us, it's not as if you have to pay a fee lol. The choice is yours.

Jeff M1BCM

4. M1BCM

So "But from the tone of your reply, sounds more like a control issue." was'nt judgeing my character ? ... ok !

5. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Because you don't get organic search results with a closed forum, Yahoo!'s search function for the group sucks, and google is much better at indexing the content, etc etc etc.

Why do you consider a Yahoo! group a "benefit"? I will never join a closed group, because I can't tell if it's worthwhile to join.

6. W5BRM

W5BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

LoL give someone something for free and they complain.. Whats wrong with this picture? The answer i have to any complaint i have free services is "its free, do i really have anything to complain about?"

Free is always worthwhile to join to look at the benefits. If you dont like what you see then unjoin. I dont see any reason why its worthy to complain about something offered for free before you try it out. For taking a minute or 2 out of your life to investigate the value of free, well that seems like its worth it.

7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Very true.

Jeff, why are the archives private? Why don't you let people read the archives without joining? I find it really irritating to find a Yahoo group that I might be interested in but I can't even read the archives without joining. Why?

Unless it's changed from the one group that I was an admin for long ago, it's a simple admin setting to decide whether or not to make the archives public.

I won't bore you with more arguments here, I could probably find my old posts about it, but I don't believe the standard argument that spammers will harvast the email addresses. The addresses are adequately obsured by Yahoo in the archives.

8. K2NCC

No one's complaining. Just pointing out a flaw in the service. Besides, just because something's free doesn't make it free of fault or unworthy of criticism.

Seems membership is more important to Jeff than the dissemination of information.

9. W5BRM

W5BRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe he is protecting the membership from spam? The walls are there for a reason.

10. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

View-Only of the message base doesn't allow for spam, unless people are foolish and add their un-obfuscated address to the body of the message.

11. K2NCC

I don't think that's an issue. Yahoo masks the return path. There's nothing to harvest there. The spam Yahoo groups gets is from within, via fake "members".

Even with "Members cannot hide email address" enabled, this is what you get when you look down the members list:

yahoomemberssample.PNG

There is. Because Jeff thinks that non-members should not get "the same BENEFITS as SUBSCRIBED members."

12. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

And genuine members who's computers are infected with malware.

13. M1BCM

Corey, the benefit is the knowledge the combined membership holds. To find out if a group is worth joining, what i do is join, then see the level of posts where problems etc have been worked out. If it's a good level i stay, if not much help is being offered i leave.

73 Jeff M1BCM

14. M1BCM

With open groups, any spammer can join and post their crap. I really don't see why some people have such a problem with a group being a restricted membership one. The old deleted official group was the same ie; closed. Did the people who were subscribers there and complainers here, complain to Rick Ruhl ? I doubt it ! Anyone who joins us has FREE info at their disposal, it's FREE to join. Those who have made personal attacks on me should realise that it really is pretty childish. If they don't want to subscribe to what could be a useful resource for them, fair enough. But why whine and gripe about it here ?

I've pretty much explained why our group is restricted, so i won't be responding to any further negative comments.

73 Jef M1BCM

15. M1BCM

Ahaa .. a voice of reason, superbly bottom lined :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.