ad: Halibut-1

New QRZ Home Page

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Nov 9, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to say it, otherwise a great site, but I may join ya in the reject corner. Been here a few times since the change, and it's still annoying even to look at. This site went from NY Times to National Enquirer in it's presentation page.

I come to qrz.com for my ham-news fix, but I'm honestly looking for a new source now. (not that anyone would miss me, but just sayin')

NK7Z, N7IQV, WY4J and 1 other person like this.
  2. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be nice if the Swapmeet was at the bottom of the page and when clicking on an item it open in a new window as it used to with the old page.
    and where did the list go that was on the right side? It had items that did not always show on the front page?

N0PLC, N7IQV, NK2U and 1 other person like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It's getting better! Keep at it and you'll strike the right balance I think

Dave
    W7UUU

W5BIB and N7IQV like this.
  4. WA0TDA

WA0TDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The tiles with images are MUCH harder to parse because they cause visual and cognitive overload as I try to sort out what's important to me on the page. This doesn't need to be Netflix - a list is better. I probably won't spend the extra time sorting through the visual clutter by looking left to right, left to right, left to right, image to text, etc, etc, and repeatedly scrolling.

KK4NA, N7IQV, K6CLS and 1 other person like this.
  5. KF7YED

KF7YED Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess it doesn't matter much what we the users think..... But you would think all the negative feedback in such a short time would tell them to not mess up a good thing. Jeez, what was wrong with it before? This was my go-to page for all things ham radio. Not anymore.

KK4NA, WY4J, NK2U and 2 others like this.
  6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not so sure posting your feelings here is an effective way of letting them know how you feel.

I could be wrong.....

N7IQV and WY4J like this.
  7. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not effective. Anything deemed 'negative' here is falling on deaf ears. The management is failing to listen to the majority of users; the one or two that do like it shouldn't dictate to all others. Forget tweaking it; dump it. It was a bad move. Revert back or start fresh. This current homepage is the pits.

John K7FD

WY4J, W8OTR, NK2U and 1 other person like this.
  8. N7IQV

N7IQV Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred and Crew: I've given the new format a couple tries, and things DO seem to be running a bit more smoothly. I appreciate that the photos of Swap Meet items are now grouped together. Still, an option to opt out of the pane view and be able to CHOOSE the old vs new format would be a major help for a lot of users. Maybe that IS in the works, I've just not seen anything leaning in that direction.

If the comments are not falling on deaf ears, thank you. I realize anything to do with a website this involved can take time. I'll keep looking in to see how it goes.

John/N7IQV
    Tucson

9. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ changed the same day that gmail on my ipad ALSO went to a format that looks like yahoo.
    So I have two things to bitch about !
    Since this is election week, I vote against the new design. But maybe the polls are closed or never were open for votes.
    I only read up to #110, but I never did see where the management asked for our votes.

KK4NA, N7IQV and NK2U like this.
  10. WX5OU

WX5OU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Its Terrible please change it back

KK4NA, NK7Z, N7IQV and 3 others like this.
  11. K2WO

K2WO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, it's a disaster. I much prefer the old format with text headlines to topics. The "Boxed" photo headlines are awful. Just my $.02 on this topic.
    George
    K2WO

KK4NA, N7IQV, WY4J and 3 others like this.
  12. K1OC

K1OC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, but I hate it. It makes scanning the headlines really difficult, especially on a tablet. Can't tell the difference between posts and ads, and the HF propagation information seems to have disappeared. I stopped reading the classified ads when they went to tiles a while ago. I stopped reading Failblog, one of my favorite websites, when they made a similar format change several years ago. Slick styling is great as long as it enhances the experience, but when it gets in the way of viewing content, it's just flash and bang. There's now less information presented in a less accessible way.

KK4NA, N7IQV, WY4J and 1 other person like this.
  13. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, I hate to admit it but I'm warming up to new homepage a bit. Now if we could just get that nutty pic of Gordo off there

John K7FD

K2XT likes this.
  14. WA0TDA

WA0TDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, one solution is to change your QRZ bookmark to your favorite section of the website that bypasses the clutter on the home page. I changed my QRZ link to the logbook page, from which I can manage my logbook and make QRZ queries.

W4QBQ, N7IQV, WY4J and 2 others like this.
  15. N0HI

N0HI QRZ Lifetime Member #167 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

John,
    I am glad you are seeing improvement. I am not. I refresh the page and the Feature Ham goes away, not to be found. I change my settings to show ads, then the featured ham is way down below the SPAM. Then the featured ham does not refresh when the page is refreshed. Eventually it goes away on a refresh. Changing settings gets it back down low, but refreshes causes it to disappear. I have opened help desk tickets, but I think they are busy trying to fix so many broken things, I have only got a "give it time" reply. It looks like the concept of a "sandbox" was not used.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    N7IQV and NK2U like this.