ad: M2Ant-1

New Jersey Institute of Technology hosts first citizen science workshop measuring the effects of the

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 21, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

New Jersey Institute of Technology hosts first citizen science workshop measuring the effects of the 2017 solar eclipse

This past August, the United States was witness to one of the most beautiful and significant astronomical events in human history – a total solar eclipse that travelled across the country from Oregon to South Carolina.

In addition to its visual beauty, this eclipse also had profound effects on the ionosphere, an electrically charged portion of the upper atmosphere that affects radio communications and navigation systems. These ionospheric effects piqued the interest of scientists and amateur radio operators across the country. They conducted one of the largest citizen science experiments in space science, an international ham radio operating event specifically for studying the eclipse. Many of these scientists and hams will be gathering for the Ham Radio Science Citizen Investigation (HamSCI, http://hamsci.org) workshop .

The event will be held at the New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, NJ this Friday and Saturday (February 23-24, 2018) to share their observations and findings. The program begins each day at 9AM at the Campus Center.

Presentations by scientists and ham radio operators from the New Jersey Institute of Technology, the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, the Massachusettes Institute of Technology Haystack Observatory will highlight the program.

All interested are welcome to attend the workshop. For more information and registration, please visit http://hamsci.org/hamsci2018.

This HamSCI 2018 workshop is organized by Dr. Nathaniel Frissell and is hosted by the New Jersey Institute of Technology Center for Solar-Terrestrial Research.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2018/february/first-citizen-science-workshop.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The eclipse photo on the OP is ...well... bogus. It didn't look like that.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But they had a great ham station; at least it was when I was there (K2MFF).

What really matters?:p

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Artistic license seems somewhat contrary to the notion of scientific accuracy.
    It looked like this (red prominences, but no red corona (ugh!):

[​IMG]

VE7DXW and VA3ECO like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you had 'iron line' eyes you'd be seeing red...

6. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Everyone;

This was definitely a very spectacular event for North America. The visual effect of totality is aw-inspiring!

But there was a lot more going on at the sun during the eclipse and the few month after it. Please watch this presentation for a better understanding why the sun is unpredictable and dangerously beautiful at the same time!

Here is the link:

Enjoy the presentation;

Alex - VE7DXW

W1YW likes this.
  7. VA3ECO

VA3ECO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This my un-scientific video of the eclipse:

It was about a ten hour drive, but well worth it.
    The video camera's auto exposure does not show how quickly it got dark.
    I thought about doing some radio experiments, but had my hands full with taking the pictures.
    -Chris VA3ECO

W1YW and VE7DXW like this.
  8. N4ADK

N4ADK Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I could've made it to this year's workshop. Hopefully I'll catch the next one. Would be great to have NC State involved with HamSCI.

W1LWT likes this.
  9. W1LWT

W1LWT Ham Member QRZ Page

the audio is bad cant stand to listen sorry.

10. G4IFX

G4IFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just for fun, this is more or less what it really looked like. It's a composite of 8 different exposures that I took in Moran, Wyoming.

Attached Files:

W1YW likes this.