ad: portazero-1

New Firmware Update for the IC-7600 HF Amateur radio Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are happy, I would wait, at least 30 days or so.

And make sure your hardware is 100% compatible, before you do the upgrade.

Have Fun.

2. N4YI

N4YI Ham Member QRZ Page

You do not need to wait. Icom has reliable updates. Follow the instructions they provide. You might want to read them a couple of times to be clear.
    The backup saves your audio, frequency and other settings. You will be able to restore them after the firmware update. The last update for IC-7800 was like a new Radio. I hope the 7600 will make several more changes to compare with the FT-3000 functions. Wayne

3. W2TMD

W2TMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well thank the good Lord Don is here to give his opinion. Because his is really the only one that counts. Right Don?

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

It was just my opinion. Thank you for the High Honor.

I just know if you do not update your radio. It will continue to work.

If you do update your radio, There is a slight chance that it will not work. You need to have a backup plan. Sometimes it is JTAG after you hose the bootstrap.

That was all.

5. N4MBN

N4MBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the information and comments on the upgrade for the 7600. I am glad I purchased that rig. Love it now and it can only get better.

By the way, why the subtle nasty comments? Is this really necessary? Anyway, thanks again to all that commented.

N4MBN David in Loxahatchee, Florida (Palm Beach County) by the big swamp.

6. KB3ZIM

KB3ZIM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have installed this update and it appears to be working 100%. This version has some awesome feature additions, the waterfall being the most obvious. Highly recommended! I just LOVE this transceiver.

7. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also notice that the "grass" is gone. That's one thing that annoyed me before.

de NK2U

8. K9FW

K9FW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just did the version 2.0 update. Now Icom has a complete new Operating Manual, for the 2.0 version. 196 Pages, available on there web site.
    Nice update.
    Al K9FW

9. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

Adam Farson, VA7OJ/AB4OJ runs many Icom email groups and the IC-7600 group is up an running for your questions. The firmware update has been performed successfully by many members of the group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/icom7600/info

Jon Pearl - W4ABC

10. KY3W/SK2022

KY3W/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I very much like the 7600. I bought a new one just a short time ago and was pleased it had the 60M frequency fix along with some other updates. The 7600, in my opinion, has two major flaws and two minor ones.

One of the major ones being the spectrum scope. I felt the ProIII, although analog, was far superior because I could easily spot a weak signal in the grass. I found the scope to be near useless for weak signals in the 7600. This firmware update helped that problem significantly when in wide view. 6M was open yesterday and I found I could spot weak signals much better than before. So I, for one, am quite pleased with the scope and waterfall but only in wide view.

The other major issue is, of course, the AGC suffers from transient spikes. This will never be corrected with firmware though. I often use heavy NB settings and use fast or mid when in high static or QRM.

The two minor issues are ergonomic. Buttons too close to the VFO knob and RF PWR knob on a small knob instead of a large one.

The other firmware improvement I like, which no one mentioned so far, is the adjustable APF level. I found it annoying turning the AF Gain up then turning it back down when tuning. The settings are 1-6Db.

I don't have issues with my amps relay, however, I suspect that the new delay feature is going to help at least a few.

Dave

11. W6CAW

W6CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone else see a bug in V2 for clock #2? I set mine for UTC. It worked for a day. Today even though the menu says clock #2 ON it does not show up on the display.

12. VE7FM

VE7FM Ham Member QRZ Page

It doesn't display clock #2 if the scope/waterfall is in wide mode.

13. KY3W/SK2022

KY3W/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I reversed the position of the clocks and renamed the bottom one LOC for Local time. Works better for me.

14. N6OI

N6OI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I don't see Clock 2 when the scope is wide. It took me a while to figure that out...

I wish it was there all the time. It looks like there is room for it.

15. KA1KLO

KA1KLO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed with the 2.00. I cannot shut the scope off when holding the meter button in for a second. It just minimizes the width, also the rest of display. Including the Multi meter panel. I'd like to be able to shut it off at will. Any known Mods? Thanks beforehand