ad: Retevis-1

New 30 Meter beacon

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0ERE, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0ERE

W0ERE Ham Member QRZ Page

W0ERE 30 METER AMATEUR RADIO BEACON - New, On air October 13, 2009

Goal: This is purely experimental beacon and will not necessarily be permanent, depends on several factors. See below.

BEACON SPECS.

Call: W0ERE/B

Freq.: 10.1295 mHz C.W. Mode

Antenna: G5RV radiating E/W, Horizonal polarization. Other antennas are periodicly substituted

Elevation: 1340 Ft. above Sea Level

Power: 3 watts

Operation: Intermittent, Operator controlled, Experimental

There are very few beacons on 30 Mtrs due to at least two things that compound the situation..............Band being only 50 KHz wide, plus automatically controlled USA beacons not permitted under current FCC rules, which requires constant operator attention.

My Freq was coordinated with and approved by coordinator Station WJ5O.

I find 30 meters to be a fascinating band along with 10 and 17 which are my favorites.

The activity is marvelous on 30 even with variable solar activity that we are currently enduring.

I am amazed at the sig. rpts. I get, using several simple antennas which are easily constructed.
    If you are a cw op and have not experimented on 30, I highly suggest to give it a go

I am using reference numbers to record certain condx at the time of transmission. If you could please indicate the reference numbers that you copy, I would appreciate it.
    This ref no. could change at any time based on changes of various antennas, Directional patterns, Wx conds, power levels, ect. This is an experimental endeavor.

Please send me any reports on the beacon when & if you hear it.
    I am very curious to find out the DX capabilities with QRP and a Simple Ant. System.

Al
    W0ERE

2. KE5YUM

KE5YUM Ham Member QRZ Page

My 30 meter rig will arrive this week, and I will listen for your beacon signal.

Terry
    KE5YUM

3. VQ9LA

VQ9LA Guest

30MTR Digital

If you are a cw op and have not experimented on 30, I highly suggest to give it a go
    Al,
    The band is open to RTTY and other digital modes as well as CW. RTTY works outstanding on 30MTRS. I have worked tons of statesides/DX stations on the 30MTR band using FSK. Just about anyone can play on the 30MTR Band without any CW skills required. My choice is CW but RTTY can be quite fun. Good luck on the Beacon project.
    Larry VQ9LA (N0QM)
    Diego Garcia BIOT
    See you in the pileups

4. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

30m Beacon

I read the section you wrote under "Goals" and saw none. As you mentioned, 30m is a small band, contest free, and CW only; I can't see any reason to waste space with a beacon on this well-used band.

5. K7GFH

K7GFH Ham Member QRZ Page

CW only??????

6. WB4DAD

WB4DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

30 Meter Beacon

Allan,

579 here in New Braunfels, Tx.

I have a bunch of fun on 30, especially during those infernal contests where the RTTY ops show up from nowhere, and take over the bottom of the bands, especially on 40.

Thank goodness that we have a place to operate that they can't touch.

73, Skip WB4DAD

7. K2ER

K2ER Ham Member QRZ Page

Copying it right now in Franklin Lakes, NJ about 20 miles NW of NYC. Just above the noise level on peaks at 549. Really 449 due to QSB.

Nice going. I love 30M too.

8. G3ZOD

G3ZOD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KC0TKS

KC0TKS Ham Member QRZ Page

There's always one

You can't see any reason? Really?

How about because that is what he wants to do and it's legal, permitted and coordinated.

Chris - KC0TKS

10. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

That's nice that there's a new beacon on 30 meters. There's another beacon right at 10MHz. Better known as WWV.

11. W1DQ

W1DQ Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the most useful "beacons" is not a beacon but the station DDK9 that is a German Maritime Weather Service station operating on 10100.8 kHz +/- 225 Hz mark/space FSK. It is located near Hamburg, Germany, and appears to provide reports 24/7. Another German one is the propogation beacon, DK0WCY, at 10144 kHz, that is not as strong as DDK9.

12. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I always thought the purpose of having a beacon on a band was to indicate to listeners that a band they believe to be mostly lacking in activity, now has the possibility of a contact into that area.

The 30 metres band is now well used in Europe, and it appears the same situation exists in the US. I can assure anybody outside Europe that if we in Europe hear even the faintest DX call from anywhere in the world, there will be dozens of people calling that station !

Mel G0GQK

13. W0ERE

Jerry,

Thank you for your reply. You are absolutely correct, WWV, Fort Collins and other locations for WWV are excellent sources for propagation from their specific locations.

Ref. beacon uses, one purpose among others is to determine the location of the propogated RF signal to the listening station. Another words, the path.
    You comment is well taken. Happy New year to you and 73, Al, W0ERE

14. W0ERE

15. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely right. Though there are so many ops on 30m WSPR right now that another probably isn't going to add to the available propagation information.

Now a permanent WSPR beacon on 10m - that would be very useful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.