N2CTJ Mark Addison SK March 30, 2012

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, Apr 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K2HAT

    K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

    Mark Addison, born Addison Marcus Abramowitz in Barnegat, NJ, died peacefully on Friday, March 30, 2012, in Shrewsbury, MA. His parents, Lewis and Dora Abromowitz emigrated to Barnegat from Lithuania. His father was a street peddler and later his parents together opened Abramowitz's Department Store in Barnegat.

    Addison graduated from Rutgers University in 1937 and received his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania. He served in the U.S. Army during WWII. While on leave from Fort Monmouth, he met his bride-to-be, Leonora Parrag, at a USO canteen in New York City. With only four dates within a four month period, they wed and enjoyed a 67-year marriage. Addison served in the China, India and Burma Theatre, where he was in the military police.

    Growing up in rural Barnegat, he enjoyed hunting, fishing, and sailing. As an adult, he could often be seen leaving the Ocean County Court House with his surf rod to head for the beaches in the hope of catching blue fish or striped bass. He also loved the woods which surrounded the home that he and Leonora built on Clearstream Road, Lakewood. An avid photographer, he built his own dark room and enjoyed developing his photographs.

    Addison set up his law practice in Lakewood in 1945. In 1967, he was appointed to the bench as a Superior Court Judge, serving until mandatory retirement at age 70. He continued to work part-time for several years thereafter, filling in for judges when they were on vacations. Mark Addison was respected and highly-regarded for his fairness and his wit. He believed in giving back and serving his community. Addison was attorney for the Board of Education, Township Committee, Housing Authority and Planning Board.

    An avid reader and intellectually curious, he was always current with world events. He subscribed to The New York Times, National Geographic, Sky and Telescope, Smithsonian, and Scientific American. Addison received much enjoyment as a ham radio operator where he made contacts with people all over the world. He had the opportunity to return to China in 1987 with a group of ham radio operators, and were guests of Radio Beijing. Additionally, Addison and his wife, Leonora, enjoyed taking trips and cruises around the world. Family and friends were treated frequently to a delicious dinner prepared by Leonora, followed by a slide show of Addison's travel photos. In 2002, they moved to Massachusetts to be closer to their children and grandchildren.

    Addison was predeceased by wife, Leonora, in 2010; and his sister, Clara Robinson, in 2001. Mark Addison is survived by a son, Andrew Addison of Norfolk, MA; a daughter, Frann Addison of Acton, MA; daughter-in-law, Tina Addison; son-in-law, Rob Gogan; three grandchildren, Josh Gogan, Zachary Gogan, and Rachel Addison; and his devoted cat, Twinkie.

    Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Sunday, April 1 at the Congregation Sons of Israel Holocaust Memorial Chapel, 613 Ramsey St., Lakewood, NJ.

    Published in Asbury Park Press on March 31, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page