ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AG4WT

AG4WT Ham Member QRZ Page

hello my name is BObby Garmon my call is ag4wt my 22 year old son just had a pace maker put in and the doctor said he could not be around ham radios well ham is my hobby and id love to find out if im out in my shack if my radios would cause him any harm because i sure dont wont to do that in anyway does anyone know anything about pace makers how far away from them he has to stay the docter did not know anything about ham radio only that my son cannot be around them but if im out in the shack i ask him could that hurt him the doc said he did not know so i thought id ask the guys that do know hams if you know please write me here and my email radiodoc05@cableone.net my phone is 256-854-2175 thanks so much and god bless
    BObby Garmon AG4WT 73

2. N9YB

N9YB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It would best to seek the advice and counsel of a couple of other physicians who are knowledgeable about pacemakers.

We are a community, but with respect to specific medical advice, leave it to the doctors who know the details about your son and his pacemaker. Seek out a 2nd and 3rd opinion.

3. AK7EE

AK7EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I would talk to the doctor(s) that put the pace maker in. Find out the manufacturer, model, and serial number. Then contact the manufacturer with that information. They can tell you the levels of frequencies the unit will withstand without causing any adverse effect.

The FDA is very strict on such matters and records.

4. N1XDS

N1XDS Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

5. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Best advise is to listen to the doctor, and the firm's advice that made the pacemaker.

A good friend here (PA3DBY) had his pacemaker this January and the doctor said with that brand there is no problem, we did ask the maker of the device and they also said no problem.

He's using 600 watts on HF and 200 on 2 meters without problems.

But, ask YOUR doctor and the maker of the device, don't take any risks.

6. KC9JWA

KC9JWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear that, but with these docs and thier smart intelliegent, im sure theres a way to do osmethin , or bypass it, hope u find what u and ur son need . 73s.:)

7. NA4BH

NA4BH Ham Member QRZ Page

Bobby,

I found this on the American Heart Association web site.

Home appliances

CB radios, electric drills, electric blankets, electric shavers, ham radios, heating pads, metal detectors, microwave ovens, TV transmitters and remote control TV changers, in general, have not been shown to damage pacemaker pulse generators, change pacing rates or totally inhibit pacemaker output.
    Several of these devices have a remote potential to cause interference by occasionally inhibiting a single beat. However, most people can continue to use these devices without significant worry about damage or interference with their pacemakers.
    Power-generating equipment, arc welding equipment and powerful magnets (as in medical devices, heavy equipment or motors) can inhibit pulse generators. Patients who work with or near such equipment should know that their pacemakers may not work properly in those conditions.

Talk to a Physician about the distance needed for your Son. As always, you can usually catch me on the 780 repeater.

EDIT TO ADD LINK: OOPS, I forgot....

Bob
    NA4BH

8. AK4MP

AK4MP QRZ Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham Radio and Pace makers

Happy Hollidays Everyone,

One of my Elmers, Dave Vest KZ4G, has had a pace maker for several years now. The only restriction that I know of is that he can no longer go to the repeater site (he use to maintain the repeater). I'm sure you could ask him some questions about his pace maker and ham radio.

Tim KD4OVM

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I suspect there won't be a problem, but it is a matter to discuss with the physician and the manufacturer of the device.

If there is indeed a prpblem, then "can not be around ham radio" doesn't really give your son enough information to avoid problems. You need to get some specifics as to field strength levels and frequency ranges that need to be avoided.

And I suspect that operating the radio or being in the same building where a radio is being operated won't be a problem. Chances are, your son could encounter greater field strengths by driving past broadcast stations, etc. The doctor really needs to provide more specificity as to what's permissible and what is not. I suspect that after doing the research, the doctor will conclude that there's no problem. But he needs to do that research and communicate the results to you and your son.

Best wishes to both of you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.