ad: QSLWorks-1

Mountaineering for a SOTA Sunrise

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N7KOM, Jan 21, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

11,000' has pretty good Line of Sight ;):D

I've been thinking about ham radio friends for a while. What a special hobby this is!

M1WML, W5ESE and 2E0TWD like this.
  2. K3XC

K3XC Ham Member QRZ Page

Rad to see someone else lugging up an HT!

73 from the North Cascades,
    K3XC/7

M1WML and N7KOM like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There have been plenty of NE SOTA operations, mostly during VHF contests and or near those dates.

Part of the problem is that many NE peaks do not qualify, because of adjacent, higher peaks. If I went to Bronson Hill in NH it isnt kosher, yet that same peak in MA would be legit.

A peak is a peak. Otherwise we have to consider the legitimacy of the high garbage hill in Ft Lauderdale FL...and discount the Cannon balls in Franconia.

I have clear shot from Garnet Hill at 1800 feet...but no SOTA designation. Kinda dumb.

If you can climb it you should count it.

K1BG and I did Mt Washington and the poor prop at HF yielded us only a few QSO's.

M1WML likes this.
  4. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a SOTA vhf propagation trail tail for you...

We were on Mt. Moosilauke in NH when this event occurred. We could hear the NH operator, someone in our party even talked with him, but we could not hear anyone else.

[​IMG]

So who knows? If I operated more summits with vhf, maybe we could have an ht s2s!

That said, I nearly always get out to the west coast on peaks since I typically use 100W on 20M.

For reference, Moosilauke is 5000 ft elevation, with an vertical gain of about 3200 feet the way we went. And a 12 mile hike RT.

Mysterious!!

Mindy

M1WML, N7KOM and W5ESE like this.
  5. AD9Z

AD9Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video! Thanks for sharing!
    73 de AD9Z

6. W4ATO

W4ATO Ham Member QRZ Page

AWESOME ...thanks for the ride!

7. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The only viable explanation is that NE1B was being spoofed through some sort of re transmission. No evidence to support natural propagation.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Ft Lauderdale 'garbage mountain'--the highest spot for 400 miles..

SOTA qualified...or not?

Why or why not?

10. KE8USA

KE8USA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video. I climbed rock, ice and mountains for about 20 years. Unfortunately it was before I got my ticket. Watching you makes me miss it.

Below is a picture of Hood from Rainier. DSC_0666.jpg

73, John

N7KOM, W1YW and WN1MB like this.
  11. N7KOM

N7KOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Rainier is on the list!

W1YW and KE8USA like this.
  12. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

IDK but seems like it just takes the right people in those areas to get organized/motivated to get set up with the SOTA org. Looks like closest may be a few in GA.
    From SOTA Q & A:
    Q: I think I have found a summit which is not listed in the ARM but should be. Can this summit be included so that I can activate it?
    A: You should contact the Association Manager (AM) and give him or her details of the summit. If he confirms that it is indeed a valid summit then it can be included in the next update, but will not be valid until then.
    https://www.sota.org.uk/Joining-In/FAQs

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Investigate SOTA listing qualification criterion or contact SOTA and ask them.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a useless statement. Obviously I have done so. My point is that they are arbitrary and do not relate to 'summits', but rather to local maxima.

I have asked, in 2016. No answer.

So why don't YOU ask...

15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Wrong. It's perfectly legitimate.
    Then contact SOTA. Contest their "arbitrary" rules and ask for an explanation.
    Non sequitur.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022