ad: ProAudio-1

Morse code shoes send toe tapping texts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K1LPI, Feb 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K1LPI

K1LPI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KE0OAP and AG6QR like this.
  2. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QLF QLF QLF!!

KI7JOM, N5VAF, W8LGZ and 5 others like this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw that story, and was going to post it, but you beat me to it!

That is the absolute strangest story about Morse Code that I believe I've ever heard. Although watch the video, you'll find that it's not actual Morse code that we use on the radio, with a symbol for each letter, but a Morse-inspired code made of dots and dashes with a very small number of predefined messages. Near the beginning of the video, there's a chart explaining that one dah means "Red alert", two dits means "orange alert", two dahs means "cancel alert", and three dahs means "turn bluetooth on/off". I assume there may be more codes.

The interviewer asks, "Is this serious? This sounds slightly crazy." The guy he's interviewing insists it's "highly serious". Serious or not, I'm not looking to invest in that company.

The video does begin with some nice Morse of the kind that we're familiar with.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nerdiest, stupidest thing I ever heard.

I DO see a possible use in cave-ins, but rock is, unfortunately, a good Faraday cage.

5. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

:rolleyes:

I think we have to be of a certain age to fully comprehend this particular Q code.

Ol' Lid Ken
    W4KJG

WA8FOZ likes this.
  6. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What's the code for "Quit goofing off, here comes the boss"? QLF-wasn't there a movie called, "My Left Foot?"

W6SAE likes this.
  7. W6SAE

W6SAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It sounds like something appropriate for the TV show "Get Smart."

8. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL Company paid lobbyists to push this new bill through Congress "Amateur Radio Pair of Shoes Act" (ARPSA) , which mandates that "Morse Code shoes shall be worn by all CC&R hams" so that their neighbors won't be "disturbed by unsightly Baofeng HTs".

They promise to Petition FCC for a "new Pedestrian Mobile class of license" which shall include a Morse test at 20 Feet Per Minute, and a new type of code called Morse Lightfoot.

ARRL Company President was quoted in the press release saying "new hams will now be able to get into the amateur radio service from the ground up."

Detractors caution that "there may be some strings attached".

:)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    KB4GTR, AF7XT, W5LMM and 18 others like this.
  9. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

A bit like folk used to bang their terraced house walls with their shoes when the neighbours were being too loud. That died out when the neighbours would likely come kill you if you complained.

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonnie! :D

A satire worthy of being in the April edition of "QRT", The Company magazine. Except the current controlling majority of their BoD, especially the Hudson Division, would choose to be offended and just respond with more Rodney Dangerfield routine,

73, John, WØPV

KQ6XA likes this.
  11. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Uhhhhh... ha ha??? Sheesh..... The "My ARRL Voice" vigilante committee has already made plans to start a frivolous protest to silence the ARRL and lynch the chairman and directors over not allowing the "My ARRL Voice" vigilante committee to run the show and for sanctioning the director of "taps" for misconduct. BURN THE WITCHES... KILL... KILL...

12. W2KS

W2KS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

.-- - ..-. ..--..

13. WW4GW

WW4GW Ham Member QRZ Page

"Mind Reading" or "Mentalist" acts have been using a similar method for years. The person in the audience has a miniature transmitter in his or her shoe that is used to send a form of morse code to a small receiver in the blindfolded partner's ear therefore giving them answers about clothing, appearance, etc. making it seem that the person has some special "power".

K8MHZ likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahhhhh!

PRIOR ART:)!

K8MHZ likes this.
  15. HA5AH

HA5AH Ham Member QRZ Page

QRX. pse I am still trying to copy Fred Astair...

K3SX, W6SAE and WJ4U like this.