ad: QSLWorks-1

Mike "Big Red" Hays KC9ZQU (formerly KA9MOT)

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KA9MOT, Jun 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

My big brother Mike passed away on Saturday May 30, 2015. He was 61 years old.

Mike was my big brother and he was so influential in my life. He taught me about life and how to be a man. It was Mike who shared my interests in radio and electronics. The man worked his tail off for little pay so that he could support his family. He was the father of 2 of his own and many who were not.

Mike became a ham in 1983 as a Novice and was issued the callsign KA9MOT. During a tough period for Mike he failed to renew his license and struggled to keep everybody in his fed and clothed. After I became a ham I asked if I could take his old callsign under the Vanity system. Following that, and after spending a ton of time in my shack he decided to retest. We met in Peoria and Mike passed both his Tech and General was was issued the new callsign of KC0ZQU.

Mike worked for the village of Oquawka, IL and I never heard him complain. The river was up? Mike was there to build sandbags. Water main break? Mike would fix it. Snow? Mike will be around to plow it in a minute. That town could count on him. He served them well.

Mike was loved by many, and will be missed by all.

A guy couldn't ask for a better big brother.

Mike.jpg

Mike KC9ZQU with his grandchild.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear that Steve.

He is in a better place now, With great line of sight communications.

3. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for your kind words Don.

4. PA5COR

PA5COR Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike passed away too soon too early.
    Seems most good people have that happen, but remember him for what he did and was.
    My condolences.