ad: AbAuRe-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AD0AC

AD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of decision points in the sale of any business, especially when it comes to taxation. It may have been a case where the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Depending on how the business is organized as an entity, shuttering the factory and disposing of the inventory over time may be more advantageous than outright selling everything off now at a lower price.

W4MND, K9FRO, WA4KFZ and 4 others like this.
  2. KC4ZGP

KC4ZGP Ham Member QRZ Page

I warned them. They did it to themselves. They did not maintain their supply chain. Out of stock has been their battle cry since January 2021.

I did guide HRO, Giga Parts and DXE through their failures. They're never out-of-stock.

Kraus/KC4ZGP

KE0GXN likes this.
  3. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Your money, your choice. But sad how the dynasty is crumbling at the behest of one mortal.

4. N8XTH

N8XTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough. I've helped wind up enough businesses over the years that I get that side, but at some point, I always find myself questioning letting something you love die versus allowing it to live on. While not speaking of this particular case, I always find myself weighting those thoughts.

I do not want this to delve into politics, nor speculation about a great man who was great for our hobby. I'm just pontificating :)

KF7PCL, WA4KFZ, AD0AC and 1 other person like this.
  5. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, being I live with a true psychic, I can tell you he is RIGHT!!

6. AF5LS

AF5LS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well crud.

7. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Gigaparts is out of stock on the new Yaesu FT-101d and FT-101MP.

8. N8FVJ

So, when stock runs out, no more MFJ. This a big deal. Apparently MFJ is not for sale as reported.

9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

For a tube amp, Acom. Solid state, KM3KM if you can wait out the wait time. Otherwise there are numerous others including Acom SS, though you'll pay significantly more for a comparable amp.

Or used Ameritron or any other. I wouldn't worry about service. Tube amps are simple enough that you'll be able to find someone to work on it. (Albeit you'll pay if no warranty service is available.)

K0UO likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

It was for sale but all the deals fell through. Reportedly (by a former employee posting in the 39+ page thread about it here) he was in talks two years ago with someone but that didn't work out. I imagine either the entire company or at least the various companies MFJ bought out over the years are for sale, if someone offers the right price. Mighty big "if."

11. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Germany the offers by MFJ are often to be notorius as cheap handicraft.

Personaly I cant share this opinion. Ok, it wasnt much I bought, but satisfied until today.

Most problem was the wrong translation of some manuals, when the original figures were not contained in anymore. So the translation wasnt proper for to understand and configure the hardware well. Never the less, the original was to download directly and after that it was ok.

Sad thing that nobody wants to continue the business.

KA4BQM likes this.
  12. KO2Q

KO2Q Lifetime Member 562 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

These modern companies learned nothing from this longevity; they promise you the moon and everything there under “for a small deposit” then they might deliver - or they might not. MFJ never did that, and every ham I ever knew had MFJ stuff in their shack. The world now is full of empty promises and disposable goods so this generation will never know what it’s like to have anything worth keeping. Oh well…

Thank you Martin for keeping all of us on the air for so long!

KF7PCL, N6RLS, N0NEV and 7 others like this.
  13. N8FVJ

MFJ is large business. It could cost in the multi-million dollar range.

14. WD4IGX

Ham radio is a niche market at best. I have no idea what the whole company is worth but it's not exactly General Motors.

KE0GXN likes this.
  15. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a damn shame. And a shame no one wanted to take over. IMHO it's a big loss for ham radio. Thank you Martin Jue and all who worked there.

N0NEV, KI4YZN, KB8SKK and 3 others like this.