ad: UR5CDX-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Considering I've never heard of Harbeth and have no idea who they are I'm sure you're right.

2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Complete biased nonsense.

3. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Before MFJ bought them out, Ameritron amps were built in Ohio.

AI5DD, WD4IGX and KB8SKK like this.
  4. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

Hearing the news, I just ordered a spare RCS-4...

John K7FD

5. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the stats before you comment blindly.
    Info Source- Statista. Missouri 19% college degree. (Missouri is in top five lowest educated of 50 states in the USA). New York 40% college degree. Missouri 4 of 5 may accept minimum wage. New York about 2 of 5. Twice as many in Missouri may accept minimum wage vs New York. Unless you think college degreed persons work for minimum wage and per your blind comment you may think that too.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    VA7UO likes this.
  6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes total sense. Say you have a company that is worth $1Mil, and I offer you $500K for it, would you sell? If so I will buy all the $100 bills in your wallet for $50 each. The thing is, we do not know what exactly is for sale, how much its worth, what he wants for it and the offer made.

He will sell off the remaining product, sell off all the warehouse and office equipment, sell the buildings if he owns them and be way in front of any offer that does not reflect the profitability and IP of the business. When I retired, I could not find anyone wanting to buy my business, so I sold off the assets, handed back the contracts to the companies I worked for, sacked the staff and shut the doors.

K4XJ likes this.
  7. UN7CI

UN7CI Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, their products have aged, as have the leaders themselves.

K0UO likes this.
  8. UT7UX

UT7UX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Even overseas. Being MFJ customer, I will really miss them, especially Hy-Gain HF antennas that I like a lot.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. KI4DRA

KI4DRA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Someone who has worked on his business for 50+ years is hard to convince is worth less than what they think.

10. DW7GDL

DW7GDL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not all restaurants are burger joints.

11. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The economic business concept in my posted comment remains perfectly valid regardless of the industry sector involved.

I am not clear what your point is exactly.

12. KS9Q

KS9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe 10 years ago Martin could have packed 5 golden tickets inside some tuners, given a wild tour of the facilities and found an impoverished, good hearted kid to give the keys to the kingdom along with a lifetime supply of 811A's.

Jim K. - KS9Q

K4PIH, N8PEM, KK1N and 1 other person like this.
  13. WD5JTZ

WD5JTZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, this is a big hit to Ham Radio in the fact we have one less place to look for something. I have a magazine from 2018 that will be an important part of my files.
    It has just about everything one could imagine. I bought my first Hygain Beam in 1979 from MFJ.

14. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Basically MFJ was selling preassembled kits.
    That means whatever you bought from them, means there may be some assembly required.

That's not a QC problem, that's a misunderstanding about what they were selling you problem.

They had a parts department specifically intended to service customers with their preassembled kits after making the sale.
    They were always pretty good about mailing you whatever you need to make your preassembled kit right after making your purchase.

This arrangement kept their product pricing affordable and everything they sold was specifically designed to be easily serviceable by the user.

AE8EM, WD4IGX, VA3XQ and 1 other person like this.
  15. SV3IRG

SV3IRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sorry to hear it, MFJ will be missed.....thee life keep going ahead...