ad: elecraft

Looking at a Chinese clone of a fantastic open source SDR Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Speeling.jpg

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

3. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

M0NKA created the mcHF kit. The Chinese bought the kit. Reverse engineered it and sold it preassembled to people too stupid to assemble a salad. Then you have high end Youtube salesmen... I mean creators pushing this shit. Probably should have patented the hardware but I digress carry on.

KA2FIR likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed.

The mcHF kit is both awesome, and legal import into US.

The transceiver is a PRC ripoff of the mcHF kit, does not meet FCC cert for Part 97, and is ILLEGAL TO BRING INTO THE UNITED STATES. It boasts continuous TX coverage from 0.5 -30 MHz. NOT Part 97.

If you PURCHASE one of these transceivers you are doing so illegally (in US) and now with knowledge that it is illegal to buy and use.

If you do the mcHF KIT you are both helping a fellow ham innovator and enjoying the company of other SDR experimenters.

Hope this distinction is clear to all:)

Chip W1YW

KC5HWB, KA2FIR, K6LPM and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA5KM

WA5KM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets see PRC ripoff, mcHF origional. SDR PCF SDR illegal to order, but what is again the good one to buy and support ?? Clear as mud !

6. WB2JIX

WB2JIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Time for the waders. It's getting deep here.....................

W3FHT likes this.
  7. W6UXB

W6UXB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread is getting tiresome yaaawn! why not rant about how many illegal CB type amplifiers with numerous 'pills' sold on eBay as ham amplifiers with awful spectral purity, this is a great little radio that run with the firmware as is does not transmit out of band! The Chinese rip everything off and it is only going to get worse

KF4ZKU likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'take away' is post #74.

Get it?

Chip W1YW

9. W4DNQ

W4DNQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes and it is hurting our economy!
    I bought my kit from Chris and have close to the latest groups firmware running in it.
    It was a great project and I enjoyed the build. At that time u could purchase the case from China for it.

K9CTB likes this.
  10. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess I'd better get "verified" on this thang ... I thought earlier that the price of the chicom rig might be the thing that sells US hams on these clones .... but I did a bit of math and found that Chris' offering (M0NKA) is about the same price by the time a case is selected, etc. Sure you have to do some through-the-hole soldering, but it ain't much in return for what you learn about SDR from the kit, the forums, the attention Chris gives folks to ask questions, etc, etc. But a hearty "hear, here" about the issues previously mentioned .... here we have a general trade war going on with the chicoms, then we have the IP problem (which extends far beyond these cloned radios - there's software, hardware, other patented items - even military stuff) .... PLUS the regulations we agreed to follow when we were issued our FCC licenses! All-in-all, these things are being addressed with the chicoms, and they don't like it. We're saying "neither do we" ... and we're doing something about it. We could do more if we just support our fellow hams like Chris .... if we support our usual vendors like YaeKenCom who, btw, jumped through all the FCC hoops to bring us these great radios we use ..... and support each other to make sure we all stay unified against what is just plain wrong. I think we can do it. I still have faith in fellow hams. I know I just don't show it often enough. Please accept my showing it here. :)