Looking at a Chinese clone of a fantastic open source SDR Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

You M-I-S-S-E-D the question. Who belongs to MARS that HRO, GIGAPARTS and so on will mod any radio, no questions asked, just so the good buddies can get on 27.185 and run 100 watts? It’s OUT OF BAND. I bet there aren’t a thousand MARS ops out there, if that many. But yet people always want that mod.

N8DC likes this.
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

This isn't correct the way it's written. I can modify a 7300 (or any radio) all I want, or build one from scratch, convert a Part 90 radio to operate in the ham bands, etc. As a part 97 license holder, it's my responsibility to make sure I am meeting the Part 97 requirements (spectral purity, power, etc.) when operating in the ham bands. You CAN modify a 7300 to operate outside the ham bands - you just can OPERATE it in that fashion. If I modify a Part 90 radio to operate in the ham bands, then I can no longer use it as a Part 90 device in it's allocated band. That's where this logic applies - not within the Part 97 world.

There are plenty of ham radios out there that can operate outside the ham band allocations right out of the box. Mostly older radios as microprocessor controls allow the radio to prevent this. My TS-520S, TS-820S, Drake TR-4CW, etc., all will easily operate on 14.400... It's my job to see that they don't.

KM5QS, N2EY, NH7RO and 4 others like this.
  3. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

That is absolutely correct.

AI7PM likes this.
  4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

As were Japanese, Korean, and Taiwan products when they started out. Many on here were too young or not even born then or just have selective memories. Currently India and Indonesia are becoming factors as they each have populations of a BILLION+ and are very intelligent people once educated. OTOH the US is going downhill in the smarts category....with notable exceptions not stifled by our laws, unions, drugs, and other things.

Many products from China these days equal or surpass our own plus are not at rip off prices which is why their economy is so strong.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    W4QBQ and KF4ZKU like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Go read the regs.

I am not responsible for any attempts at gray zones on this thread.

Yes, as a Part 97 licensee, your IC 7300 is illegal to use if you have modified it to transmit outside of Part 97 allocations.

It is your responsibility to understand what it means to have an "allocation" in the cases of an emergency, or MARS.

Ask yourself: who issues MARS callsigns, and must you be a Part 97 licensee to have a MARS license.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    N4GKS likes this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have. Think about it, if as a licensed amateur I can build a radio out of used TV parts and operate it (on the ham bands) so long as it meets the technical requirements, I can surely operate a modified 7300 (or any radio) so long as it meets the same requirements AND I operate within the ham bands. If I modify the firmware of the 7300, and my modified firmware CAN operate out of the ham bands, the radio doesn't suddenly become "illegal to use" as you put it. It is illegal to use outside the ham bands.

I have read thru the regs, and some have argued that it's a good idea to make sure you have the capability to operate out of the ham bands if it becomes necessary as provided under parts 97.403 and 97.405. I don't necessarily agree with that idea, but folks have been modifying their radios to this effect for many years.

If you would like to clear things up, please post where in Part 97 you found what you're claiming. And there are differences in the restrictions around marketing radios, and using them.

AI7PM likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

MARS is not Part 97.

MARS licensees do not operate under Part 97.

MARS frequency allocations are not Part 97 allocations.

MARS requirements include an HF station which works in the MARS allocations.

MARS requires a Part 97 license in the application process as a means of vetting practical proficiency and operating ability . But it is not Part 97.

A MARS license is not a Part 97 license.

NH7RO and KA2FIR like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

Your questions ar not for me. They are for the FCC. You just want to argue.

Ehh.

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice. By your logic, I can make the statement, "The FCC requires that all transceivers be painted blue". Can you disprove that?

If you make a claim, cite it. If not, then you're just making things up. I was being courteous when I corrected your statement, I guess I forgot who I was dealing with. :D

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't care.

Get outside and enjoy the day.