ad: GoBoxRadio-1

LightSail-1 and PSK31 CubeSats launched

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W8ANT

W8ANT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not ham related. Right.

Just like the ham signals from the first flight over the South Pole weren't 'ham related'? Just like the space station ham station isn't ham related? Just like the monitoring of the first Moon landing by a ham wasn't ham related? Or the construction of the first radio telescope ( by a ham) isn't ham related? OK, then.

It's supposed to be a free country, and you can spout your opinion. I'll give it the respect it deserves.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like lines from 'Joe Dirt'....

Please: been there done that . Follow the thread.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mylar is supposed to be polyster with a metallized coating-- have no idea what they are using on the lightsat.Someone gotta link?:)

If this is metallized then the radar cross section can be large in some orientations, with some side and back scatter. While the subtended angle will not fill the beam by a longshot, it should be possible to capture sat-bounce 'glints' at 6, 144, and 432...

Anyone doing this yet(that is, planned)? I may be interested later in the Summer with a KW on 2m.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This link mentions Mylar.

http://sail.planetary.org/

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just had some fun with the link budget.

Assuming a 10KW ERP, a LEO orbit for Lightsail, and a dynamic range of possible RCS values of 15:1, it should be easy to do 2M SAT-BOUNCE on light sail---IF the mylar is metallized for reflectance at RF.. I assume a 10 dBi TX antenna...this has a large enough beam to catch a pass for a reasonable time, and not need tracking hardware...

Before the Planetary Society, or any other non-profit steps in to, IMO, chum the idea for $$$, I think some of us hams should just get together and work it out ourselves.

A lookup table of passes would help,

Hey--isn't that what Grote Reber would do;-)? Note: Grote liked to avail people with his stories of mistrust for govt and non profit institutions. He was a free market guy that eventually became an island in himself down in Tasmania, chasing down ionospheric holes at MF and lower.. FYI KD8WSP..I had an eyeball with Grote. And I am a radio astronomer. I have a little GR plaque in my office--with his actual 1930's QSL. If anyone is interested I will take a pix.

W6RZ---why don't you try showing the link budget :) Everyone gets a second chance OM;-)

Chip W1YW

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here ya go Larry---Some guy (W1YW) made a plaque in honor of that radio astronomy guy....in his office.
    W9GFZplaquea.jpg

And that W1YW is a radio astronomer very much in the W9GFZ vein....looks like he did something really basic: invented the invisibility cloak. Here's the cover from an article on his stuff from Jan 2015 MWJ---tootles of cred apparently ;-)
    mwjcova.jpg

Ad astra per aspera,
    Chip W1YW

8. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can see you need a much bigger hat.

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

...nah. Just have to wear a lot of 'em.

Chip W1YW