ad: Radclub22-1

Last week for the 2019 State of the Hobby survey!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8RMA, Mar 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

done, took survey...

2. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hidden enough that I never found it.
    John
    K4AGO

3. K0IP

K0IP Ham Member QRZ Page

I took it for the second time , but did NOT submit it
    I wonder when Drown Operations became ham radio ?

4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Make the link easy to find... Please. I had to access the site four times before I stumbled upon the link.

5. VA7AON

VA7AON XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for doing this survey Jeremy. Thorough, I like it! The results will be very interesting. BTW, I had no trouble finding the link.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

actually, I wrote essays for the questions "what could FCC/ARRL do better", lots to say about that and I hope others will send thoughtful remarks.

every survey has some problems and this was no exception - minor stuff - for example, the question "how much have you spent on ham radio in the last 6 months" can only be answered with a "whole number" - so I couldn't put "US$" in there. If it's a truly international survey, how would someone indicate they've spent millions of Yen, not US$? and, Canadian $ are different than US$.

I'm curious to see the results!

7. K3CGG

K3CGG Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Ban CW. Yank the license of anyone who promotes it, because CW and its promotion retards the radio art.

9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

faint2.jpg

NK2U likes this.
  10. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dustin,

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It allows (well, it should) folks time to think about and consider the issues we are currently facing in the hobby. One hint: as you seem to have a common theme of folks not being able to find the survey (I finally found it, after looking 4 times), it may be due to the fact that your survey link doesn't really look like a 'link' to most of us. Remember, a great deal of the time, hyperlinks are underlined or are in blue (for some reason). I finally accidentally hovered over the link and saw it giving me the finger - and I participated. Maybe next year, if you just put it at the top of the page and have it read something like >>> Click HERE for 2020 survey <<< it will be easier for those of us conditioned otherwise to find it.

Good job! (drone operation?) :)

- Matt, AA4MB

11. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

While I'm not that extreme, I have no love lost for removing the CW requirement. That was the single detractor that kept me from progressing from No-Code Tech (I had no qualms in calling it that since its inception) to getting my Extra. There are no tests for voice use, satellite operation, ATV, nor any of the digital modes. It is antiquated as a requirement. It is still useful as an operating mode, and I am honestly jealous of those that love the CW hobby. I would love to see CW still continue as a major component of the amateur radio hobby.

To the topic - I took the survey, but didn't respond with any free form answers.

12. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2019-3-25_14-6-19.png

13. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

10 pages of CW/no CW debating in 3... 2...

14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

15. NK2U

NK2U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If, and that's a big if, the so called ARRL is the advocacy group for hams, why didn't they make the survey?

Reason: They don't care what you think, they formulate policy and then tell you what that policy is.

Should be the other way around, the SUBSCRIBERS should tell the ARRL what the policy is and then the ARRL carries it out.

de NK2U

AB2RA likes this.