ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Kenwood to Merge with JVC

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N8MDH, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N8MDH

N8MDH QRZ Member

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds more like Kenwood is taking over JVC than a "merger." If handled properly, it can make KW a bigger, stronger player in the electronics field. Unless it causes economic problems after the merger, it probably won't hurt the communications division. Their commercial radio sales seem to be doing allright at present.

3. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing New Kenwood was also TRIO-Kenwood no different than anything cooking in the US when companies merge here.

Wonder if Wendys, Mc Donalds, Burger King, and Arbys would merge ?

FAT Chance in a Billion right [​IMG]

4. W2RDT

W2RDT Ham Member QRZ Page

After servicing jvc electronics for the past 10 years,
    This is definitly going to hurt Kenwood.
    JVC is the worst Tech supported equipment in the
    USofA. They closed down east coast tech centers a
    few years ago. You have to call California to get
    service advice and half the time you never get thru,
    they tell you they will return your call. never get a
    return call.
    I hope Kenwood is sold seperate from jvc. Kenwood
    is too good a product to be associated with jvc
    junque.
    russ==KC2RKO

5. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

AWWWW... and I thought you had a snappy punchline for that!

[​IMG]

6. KE5QZZ

KE5QZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

kind of makes me wonder.... I just got my tech license and my first two radios are kenwoods. I'm very happy with them so far and am wanting to stay kenwood. Just wish their selection was as big as ICOM and Yeasu.

Maybe my next radio will be one of the others if Kenwood is "going down" in quality or otherwise. [​IMG]

7. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

Try Icom or Yeasu / Vertex or a Motorola theres a few brands out there.

8. KE6ANM

KE6ANM Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh, not surprised to learn that Motorola is now merging with yaesu......................

9. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

FAT chance? I lova good pun!!

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

10. g0yuu

g0yuu Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  11. G1BYY

G1BYY Ham Member QRZ Page

Russ, I tend to agree. I have had a JVC and a Panasonic VCRs for many years (now mostly unused since I got DVD & hard drive recorders). They have pretty-much the same spec, and do the same things, but the JVC user-interface is unbelievably awful!
    An example: if you program a recording for the same day every week, recalling it on the Panasonic shows the channel, time, and day-of-the-week, as you'd expect. The JVC shows the start time and a "Weekly" indicator, so you have to press another button and it then shows the start date! If you set it up a few weeks ago, you have to refer to a calendar to see when it's going to record! What *were* they thinking?
    On the basis of such dreadful ergonomics, I decided never to buy anything from JVC again.
    Let's hope that Kenwood (I have three of their Txceivers, and my car radio/MD player) keep the upper hand and carry on doing things their way.

Cheers,
    Howard, G1BYY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.