ad: CQMM-1

K6QL, David W. Fender SK

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N6YW, Sep 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly reporting the passing of our friend Dave of Poway Ca, who passed a few days ago.
    Our profound condolences to Dave's family a friends.
    A fine gentleman and practitioner of our hobby is SK.
    ... _._ ... _._ ... _._

Billy N6YW
    Tucson Arizona

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

My Condolences.

David W. Fender, K6QL SK

David Warren Fender
    January 21, 1922 - September 14, 2016
    Born: January 21, 1922
    Place of Birth: Silverton, CO
    Death: September 14, 2016
    Place of Death: Poway, CA
    Hobbies: Square Dancing, Black Powder Shooting, Geocaching
    Organizations: Al Bahr Shrine, San Diego Scottish Rite, Santa Maria Masonic Lodge, Poway Cruisers
    Service Schedule

There is currently no service information available.

http://www.powaybernardomortuary.net/memsol.cgi?page=profile&section=info&user_id=1853514

From his QRZ Bio page.

My interest in Ham Radio probably began when I was in the 4th grade in grammar school. Started building crystal sets that actually worked!
    In Junior High School, I became friends with others with similar interests and we all, with the help from our electric shop teacher, (W6LIT) began studying the code and learning a little theory.
    I passed the FCC exam in Dec. 1935 and was issued W6NUK on my 14th birthday, Jan 21, 1936!

In those days, we built all our own stuff and the band for entry level hams was 5 meters, So with a modulated, self excited osc. and a superregenerative receiver I was off and running somewhere around 56 Mcs.

DX was a contact with Lookout Mtn, or Mt Wilson, a distance of 25 miles or so.
    Graduated to 40 meter CW with a pair of 45's in push pull that operated now and then outside the band!
    Got a "QSL" card from an FCC monitoring station once. It came from the south east US. Great DX! was really proud of that!

Have been active in Amateur radio all my life and at 93, still enjoy it imensely!

Have returned to AM and thouroughly enjoy the AMI (Amplitude modulatiion international) group working AM phone on 3870 and 7293.
    Gone high tech with a Flex SDR transceiver and a Class D Super Senior AM rig for 75 and 160 .
    Also operate portable from my summer home in Utah. . Above pic shows the Flex 1500 computer screen when tuned to the CW portion of the 40 meter band during the Sweepstakes contest! Wall to wall sigs!

N6YW likes this.
  3. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you K2HAT.

K2HAT likes this.