ad: elecraft

K5BOC, Randy Griffin SK (Mountainburg, AR)

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N5ARK, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5ARK

N5ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I received word today from Dale Temple, W5RXU, that

Randy, K5BOC, apparently had a heart attack last night and became a Silent Key.
    Randy was well known on all the bands and has held several leadership spots in Ham Radio. He was from Mountainburg, Arkansas

He had some medical problems in the past but was slowly getting back on the radio. He actually was on the Razorback Net yesterday evening.
    Everyone keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Lewis Funeral Home, Ft. Smith is handling the arrangements but they are not yet complete.

We are going to miss you Randy,

Troy
    N5ARK

2. K4WWV

K4WWV Ham Member QRZ Page

Randy was a great Arkansas and Mid-South amateur, providing service and leadership to both. Our heartfelt condolences and prayers go out for the family and his peers in the state. I had the pleasure of working with him back when I was Section Traffic Manager for Tennessee. He will be missed.

Dave Colvett, K4WWV, ARRL NTS
    Central Area Digital Coordinator

3. K5VR

K5VR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Randy's funeral will be @ Lewis Chapel, 4817 Kelley
    Hwy.,Ft. Smith, AR @ 1 o'clock Monday, with viewing all day Sunday.

4. WW5RM

WW5RM Guest

R.I.P.

May he R.I.P. he was the best NCS and didn't put up with an crap!!!!! He will forever be missed!!! He did more for the Razorback NET than any other have or ever will!!!

73 Randy

WW5RM

5. K5YY

K5YY Ham Member QRZ Page

We have lost a great ham operator who participated in all facets of ham radio. I have operated many DX contests with Randy, dating back to 1970 at W5SZ's multi-station setup in Honey Grove, Texas. Randy was always a "no nonsense" guy but always willing to help others at any time. In the past 5 years many times we reminisced about the 60s thru 80s and how ham radio had changed from the old days. Randy was always fun to talk to, and I will miss our conversations greatly. God Bless Randy ....
    San K5YY Springdale, AR

6. KD5AR

KD5AR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone,
    I used to know Randy really well back in the early 1990s when I got my ham ticket. We used to pow wow the night away after the Razorback net. I was 10 years old when I was first licensed and I think he got a kick out of hearing a young ham and I always enjoyed his company on 75 meters. The ham community and our great state of Arkansas has lost a great man. Such a tragedy, but let us remember the good times and celebrate those.
    God bless Randy's family and everyone,
    Brad Clark KD5AR
    Oakland, Arkansas

7. W0HSN

W0HSN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear of Randys passing. I first met Randy on the Razorback net about 10 years ago. I was proud to have him as a friend. Rest in peace Randy,I was proud to know you. Connie and I send our condolences to Randys family and will be keeping them in our prayers.

8. AF5AB

AF5AB Guest

I only knew Randy for a short time, before and after his stroke. When I finally got to meet him face to face at the Russellville and Mena ham-fest, he knew my call just by hearing my voice. He always had a warm smile waiting for you. I will miss him and his voice on the Razorback Net. Randy should be bestowed the "Arkansas Traveler" because he always had good things to say about the state. A tragic loss to the state and radio hobby. God bless Randy, his family, friends and anyone who had the pleasure of knowing him.

9. KC0NIB

KC0NIB Ham Member QRZ Page

I just have the one thing to say since we seem to be loosing so many good folks...

:(

10. K5BMR

K5BMR Guest

Randy was one of the good guys... We go back to the 50's and Randy always was a "Ham's" "Ham"... All of us will Miss Randy...
    73 my friend
    ol'george K5BMR

11. N5ARK

First time on the Razorback Net

I like many others were welcomed to the world of HF by Randy. I remember the first time I checked into the Razorback Net on 3987.5 how he made me feel welcome. He made sure that you were appreciated and welcome for sure. I later on met him and several hamfest and the handshake and big smile was unforgettable. You probably can not find a ham anywhere in Arkansas that hasn't learned something along the way from Randy. He would be the first one to let you know you were out of line and give you advice on how to correct yourself.

Brian, W5AMI, has several recordings on his website http://www.w5ami.net of him calling a net. If you want to hear the big voice and warm heart go take a listen.

There really is no more that I can say that someone else has not already...and that speaks for itself.

Everyones going to miss you Randy. May you rest in peace and your family have peace during this difficult time.

There is also a bunch of pictures of Randy on Brian's website.

God Bless

Attached Files:

12. KB5ECV

KB5ECV Ham Member QRZ Page

Rest In Peace Randy...

13. N5ARK

Picture of Randy

Here is a picture of Randy I took a Russellville Hamfest last year.

Troy
    N5ARK[/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

14. KM5GJ

KM5GJ QRZ Lifetime Member #78 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Randy and I had been friends for 20+ years. During Y2K Randy became involved with me at the Crawford County Sheriff's Department in preparation for the possible problems in year 2000 rollover. As mid-night on the East coast passed we found out that it had been much to do about nothing. The good result was that Randy influenced at least 6 area law enforcement officers to become hams. We traveled together to several hamfests including a 850 mile round trip to Belton HamExpo a few years ago. Randy's station could always copy me mobile from South Padre Island. I will forever miss my friend, Rest in Peace.
    KM5GJ

15. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

Randy was always a cheerful voice willing to lend a helping hand.

I will miss him.

Bernie K5XS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.