ad: LZQSLprint-1

K3NYT

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by N2EY, Feb 9, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was thumbing through QST for February, 1975, when I found his call in the Silent Keys section. I kinda knew he was gone, but I didn't know when. I was shocked to realize that it was so soon after I knew him. I never knew how old he was, when you're a kid, everybody over about 30 looks ancient.

My Novice license arrived October 14, 1967, and was dated October 12, 1967. I got one of the first two-year Novices, but I vowed to upgrade within a year. I was 13 years old and in the 7th grade. Nobody in my family or neighborhood was a ham.

My volunteer examiner was Jim Grundy, K3NYT. He lived at 47 Keystone Avenue, Upper Darby, PA overlooking the transit yard. How he worked 40 CW with all the racket that must have come off the third rail electrification is a mystery, but he did.

Great guy. Still remembered after all these years.

73 es RIP de Jim, N2EY

W2VW and K3SX like this.
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

N2EY likes this.
  3. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew Jim VERY well! He assisted me when I was the sponsor of the Overbrook School for the Blind Radio Club. I had met Jim through the ARTICS radio club in Upper Darby. I was in high school at that time. Jim was a wonderful human being. I went to visit him in the hospital when he fell ill. Thanks for remembering him. 73, Sid K3SX ( K3SME)

N2EY likes this.