ad: Radclub22-1

Joe "vortex Joe" Cro N3IBX

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by W2NNG, Apr 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W2NNG

W2NNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I am truly saddened to announce the passing my friend Joe Cro " Vortex Joe" N3IBX .
    A friend and truly a old time "class" HAM.
    SK 4/18/19

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Very sad to hear of Joe's passing have known him since at least the early 90s and we have spoken for many hours on the air including AM on the different bands. Joe was also a regular at area hamfests.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. WN3V/SK2022

WN3V/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Vy sad to hear. Joe will certainly be missed.

5. W2NNG

6. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Joseph M. Cro, 493, N3IBX SK

Joseph M. Cro
    May 8, 1958 ~ April 18, 2019

Joseph M. Cro, age 60, of Washington Crossing, PA, passed away suddenly on Thursday, April 18, 2019 at St. Mary Medical Center, Langhorne, PA. Born in Philadelphia, Mr. Cro lived in Yardley before moving to Washington Crossing 21 years ago.

Prior to his retirement, he had been employed as a resource controller for SEPTA for 27 years. Joseph was a ham radio enthusiast, and enjoyed collecting, building, and operating ham radios. He was a member of the Antique Wireless Association and the American Radio Relay League. Mr. Cro was a Mason, belonging to the Athelton/Lamberton Lodge F. & A.M. He liked older cars, but really loved his six cats.

Son of the late Louis J. Cro, he is survived by his wife Jocelyn B. (Fritsch) Cro, his mother Antoinette (Cairone) Cro, and several nieces, nephews, cousins, and in-laws.

Relatives and friends are invited to Celebrate his Memorial Mass at 11 AM on Friday, April 26, 2019 at Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church, 201 N. Pennsylvania Ave., Morrisville, PA. Interment of his cremated remains will follow in the parish cemetery.

Friends may call Friday morning from 9:30 - 10:30 AM at the J. Allen Hooper Funeral Chapel, 41 W. Trenton Ave., Morrisville, PA 19067.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial contributions be made to St. Mary Medical Center, www.stmaryhealthcare.org.
    https://www.hooperfuneralchapel.com/notices/Joseph-Cro

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh no.

I knew Joe. Great guy....amazing collection.

He was only 60....gosh....

73 es RIP de Jim, N2EY

8. W2NNG

9. W2NNG

OK Lee.
    service was nice, a little wet between the stops.
    Maybe see you at the Warminster fest 5/5/19.
    I think Joe would have liked us all to have a 807 in memory, which I am doing now.
    John WA2NNG

10. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Sorry I will not be able to make that Hamfest.

My Condolences in the loss of your friend.

Best 73, K2HAT Lee

11. K2JX

K2JX Ham Member QRZ Page

Just read of "Vortex Joe's" passing, how sad. I remember the 'ol days on 3.885 with Joe, "The Derb" Timtron, 'IRB and many more that provided hours of entertainment and lots of laughs ! Although I was not very active on AM as far as transmitting, I did enjoy listening in. RIP Joe !
    de K2JX

12. K2PG

K2PG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been inactive for about two years and was shocked and saddened (to say the least) when I saw Joe's call and name in the "Silent Keys" column in QST. I did not know that he passed away until I got the July QST in the mail a couple of days ago. We used to chat, sometimes for hours, on 160 meter AM. I will really miss that nice radio voice with just a hint of Philadelphia! Joe's basement was a radio museum and he showed me a very rare tube a few years ago: a Sodion, a kind of triode tube that competed with Lee DeForest's Audion and that was frosted on the inside, presumably to try to circumvent the DeForest patents by making the elements invisible without destroying the tube. A few years ago, I located a 1 kW Gates AM broadcast transmitter and the two of us managed somehow to get it into his basement. I don't know if he ever put it on the air. R.I.P., N3IBX. Phil K2PG