ad: QSLWorks-1

Is It Possible To Be "POTA Ready"?

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KI5IRE, Nov 26, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KI5IRE

KI5IRE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I recently had a conversation with someone saying that he wasn't ready to make his first "CQ POTA activation"...although he was already activating by hunting park to park contacts FROM A PARK that is in the POTA database!

In this video, I share my thoughts on if I think it is really possible to ever be "POTA Ready", or not, or are you possibly overthinking your first POTA activation?

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I made it to 6:21 of the video. Barely. Takeaway? Over-analysis.

KL7KN, K0UO and K3XR like this.
  3. KI5IRE

Appreciate the feedback, will keep that in mind.

Thanks, 73!

WN1MB likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Just another helpful bit - constant music over voiceovers is offputting for many. Or at least turn it WAY down. And shake the video up a bit - bring in other visual elements like RADIOS :) Add a second camera for variety of view (just use a cell phone for cam 2) - or otherwise change things up in the video from time to time. It's really hard to watch 13 minutes of exactly the same thing.

Lastly, be INFORMATIVE FIRST... teach us stuff. Don't push for "click the like button" in the first 20 seconds - no one is going to do that until they have watched enough to KNOW if they liked it or not - much less the subscribe button - to just clutter their YT feed with new videos from someone they didn't like in the first place.

I'd suggest leaving that stuff out until you're starting to actually build a regular audience.

I'm only commenting because you have very few subscribers so you're working on building things up. So I hope you take these as constructive - and keep on working on it! You'll get there :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KL7KN, KI5IRE and WD4ELG like this.
  5. KI5IRE

Thanks for the feedback Dave! I'm still new at this YouTube thing, so constructive feedback is always welcome!:)

Thanks, 73!
    Chase
    KI5IRE

N3AWS and W7UUU like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff, I'm surprised you made it that far.
    I despise 'talking head' videos.

Sorry OM, no sub from me. And barely 30 sec of looking.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I'm NOT a 'YouTuber' so not posting the following for that reason. But I have done a ton of video editing work over 30 years or so - and it's VASTLY easier nowadays than even just a few years ago. I don't ask for subscribers, I don't ask folks to "click the like button" so I'm probably on an entirely different track than you and I totally get that. Do what you need to do - I fully understand that YT can be a source of income for folks and I admire all efforts to "run a small business". I use YouTube for videos like this because it's a safe place to store video for the foreseeable future.... YT [at least for now] says that they will never remove material uploaded unless it breaks the rules or you remove it. It's a safe archive of historical stuff - like this video series of my local club.

I'm posting this to just give you some suggestions from a "non-YouTube big poster guy".

Main camera is a Lumix G9; Left side camera is a Sony ZV1F, and right side is my iPhone 12. Audio all comes from a pair of condenser mics tied to the iPhone.

The content could be really boring in a video like this - just a guy talking and telling his story. But to help offset that, I try to work in multiple camera views, and multiple software zoom views within those. I also add in other visual elements to try to keep the viewer engaged.

This is just a series I'm doing for my local radio club. But maybe you'll get some ideas.

And DO NOT click the "like button" or the "subscribe" button - I am NOT POSTING for those reasons.

It just seems like one of those "teaching moments" sort of things in this thread.

Please do NOT take this as a thread hijack in any way. That's not at all my intent - it's more an "elmering thing" here - since there have been comments on your production, and you have responded to them. Just trying to help in any small way I can is all.

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AWS likes this.
  8. KQ4GUI

KQ4GUI Ham Member QRZ Page

I will become a ham radio youtuber and this thread is already helping me to see what might and what might not be good.