ad: elecraft

Installing A Mag Mount On A Fiberglass RV Roof - K6UDA Radio Episode 49

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, Apr 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Motorhome Ham Station starts to come along. This time I'm working on the UHF/VHF antenna. Ive created a ground plane on the fiberglass roof of my motorhome and attached a mag mount NMO base. All the holes were sealed, and the cable was hidden for a factory look. Hole in roof.jpg

XE2MWY, VE9AGC, N7YO and 1 other person like this.
  2. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Since i (rv) myself i like these how to videos...W6FRD...

3. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

VSWR is ?

AK5B and K3DY like this.
  4. WW7HN

WW7HN Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever hear of a good epoxy?

K2MOB and AK5B like this.
  5. VE7BPB

VE7BPB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. There is no need to drill holes in the roof. Just use a good epoxy like JB Weld and you will never have any problems with the steel getting ripped off and no leaks.

Think outside the box!.

K2MOB and KM2E like this.
  6. N8WJR

N8WJR Ham Member QRZ Page

I cringed at seeing that drill on the fiberglass roof.

7. AG7QH

AG7QH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree, lucky the drill bit didn't catch and throw stacks through the fiberglass. I guess I question why I haven't seen anyone using glass mounts through the fiberglass.
    Yes you need to find out if they used wire mesh in the fiberglass but we have used glass mount antennas on boats.
    Mike KA7HBB

8. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Like he said at the start of the video he wanted the antenna to be able to knock down with no damage if he went under an obstruction. Using a glass mount would lead to damage.

I suspect I would have glued the metal plate to the roof and would have used a bigger plate as well. Still would have needed one hole for the coax though.

9. K6UDA

VSWR hasn't been measured yet. I'm going to get my custom mount built and get radio in place before I cut the coax and put a PL259 on it.

10. K6UDA

Trust me, I did too.

N8WJR likes this.
  11. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

12. KC6SOT

KC6SOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I second that! I would NEVER drill a hole in an RV roof. Ground plane on UHF VHF isn't as important as it is on HF.

13. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Never ever drill holes in a fiberglass roof.

14. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

For several years, I installed 2-way radio antennas. Many were on motorhomes, some with fiberglass roofs. Drilling into them was never a problem; I just located a structural crossmember and mounted the antenna using a Z-bracket. I NEVER had one come back or even complain.

KD8AQT likes this.
  15. R2FAQ

R2FAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My small note: always the radio frequency cable and power cables of the tranceiver should be routed as far as possible from the wiring harnesses of the car. Possible interference reception and vice versa interference to the electronics of the car, even a spontaneous explosion of airbags. :cool: