ad: Halibut-1

Indian YLs Hams set to activate Beaches on the Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VU3HZW, Dec 13, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VU3HZW

VU3HZW Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

A group of newly licensed Young Ladies (YLs) is set to activate two sea beaches on December 16th and 17th, 2023.​

16th December 2023 – Junpat Sea Beach (Grid – NL31vr) – Beach Code – 62417

17th December 2023 – Haripur Sea Beach (Grid – NL31vq)- Beach Code – 62418

10 Meters – 28.385 Mhz SSB & 28.074 Mhz FT8

15 Meters – 21.250 Mhz SSB & 21.074 Mhz FT8

20 Meters – 14.250 Mhz SSB & 14.074 Mhz FT8

40 Meters – 7.140 Mhz SSB & 7.074 Mhz FT8

The Beaches on the Air Programme is an innovative initiative that brings together radio amateurs to activate and communicate from beaches around the world. This program aims to combine the joy of beachside activities with the excitement of amateur radio, fostering community engagement and promoting the beauty of coastal environments.

Adding a touch of exclusivity to this activation is the special callsign allocated by the Wireless Planning and Coordination (WPC) Wing of the Department of Telecommunications – AT2BOTA. This special callsign adds a distinctive flair to the event, underlining its significance in the realm of amateur radio operations.

Newly licensed Young Ladies – Arunisha (VU3OAA), Anisha (VU3OAC), and Sanghamitra (VU3NZZ) will be assisted by seasoned operators VU3IZW, Pritam, and VU3IBL, Amitava. VU3IBL, in particular, brings a wealth of experience to the team, having already successfully activated various beaches across India.

Amitava, with his proven track record in activating beaches, brings valuable insights and expertise to the event. His prior experience will undoubtedly contribute to the success of this groundbreaking activation, showcasing the capabilities of amateur radio operators in India.

VU2EXP, K9EZ, AI5HG and 12 others like this.
  2. K4JGA

K4JGA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking forward for this event!!! You call sign will create a great pile-up of very eager DX hunters!!
    Good Luck!

Joe K4JGA
    Casselberry, Fl.

VU3IBL likes this.
  3. CU2YK

CU2YK Ham Member QRZ Page

:) I hope to meet AT2BOTA!!! Good luck!!! :oops:

VU3IBL likes this.
  4. VU3IBL

VU3IBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KF5VDX

KF5VDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ll be looking for you guys on the beach. Nothing better than radio operations next to saltwater! Mother nature’s amplifier will give the YL’s a great start. 73 and hope to work you from a beach in south Texas. Garry KF5VDX

VU2EXP, VU3IBL and VU2JO like this.
  6. VU2JO

VU2JO Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me wish you all the best for the success of the program. Please note that beaming on 145.5 MHz is not useful for Amateur Radio LEO Satellite operations. You have to find the uplink frequency, timing and direction of pass of the LEO satellite. Each satellite has a different uplink and downlink frequency. Some need a CTCSS tone for access as well. Doppler correction has also to be applied for both uplink and downlink frequency. Directional Yagi antenna has to be pointed in the direction of the satellite pass, both in azimuth and elevation for a successful contact. Direction of the satellite has to be tracked during the pass, to match the instantaneous position of the satellite and the antenna beam. It is better to post each satellite activation on sites like https://hams.at/, well in advance, so that there are others QRV within the footprint of the satellite to listen and reply to your calls. 73 de VU2JO.

VU2EXP and VU3IBL like this.
  7. ON3MDR

ON3MDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Now THAT is how you do that! What a great pic! You're lovely people :)
    Let me try to reach out (from Belgium and only 25W) on FT8 this weekend...no promisses but, with a bit of help from Ghanesh I could reach you...
    Happy activating :)

PE1RQO likes this.
  8. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good luck. Hope to see you on the air

VU3OAC likes this.
  9. KC1RVK

KC1RVK Ham Member QRZ Page

Wonderful event! Good luck! I will be listening for you.

VU3OAC likes this.
  10. NN6U

NN6U Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe they mean that as two separate things: 1) We will beam 145.5 simplex towards Kolkata to work local hams. 2) We will work LEO satellites using appropriate frequencies, etc.

Best of luck to the team! I rarely hear VU from the US West Coast, but maybe the salt water will help. 73!

VU3OAC and VU2JO like this.
  11. VU2JO

Wishing you all the best in getting them on the log on HF. Now I know why my very first contact on CW from the US in late 1980s on homebrew setup was from Maryland - It is on the Eastern Coast of US. I had not thought of it at that time. I was just very happy to log my first US contact, with a very small time window for us on 40 m in those days! As I do not have HF at present, I will look out for AT2BOTA on LEO satellites, though I am yet to hear anyone from that region on LEO satellites.

VU3IBL and NN6U like this.
  12. VU3YDA

VU3YDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best wishes team, waiting for your call..

13. VU3IBL

VU3IBL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank JON, I know LEO Satellite s frequencies and encodings from n2yo.com, and ofcourse dopplers, those VHF frequencies are for beam towards Kolkata and Bhubeneswar, thank you once again for your wonderful words, 1st day we had 30 QSOs and 2nd day we got 36 QSOs. Honestly I didn't know about hams.at next time we will also activate on Sat.

NN6U and VU2JO like this.
  14. VU2JO

So that is exactly like what NN6U had interpreted! I will look out for your schedule on hams.at and hope to have a contact on LEO satellites if there is a suitable pass. I am yet to have anyone from your region in my log. The longest distance I have been able to work on ARISS is VU2TUM at Gurugram, a couple of times. But that is to the North and not North East! 73 de VU2JO.

NN6U likes this.
  15. VU3OAC

VU3OAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thnx we will correct the language in future activation.

NN6U and VU2JO like this.