Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD8KQH, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
  1. KD8KQH

KD8KQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Specifically, they are asking about how CC&R's (restrictive covenants) may impede hams from providing emergency communications services.

This is our best chance to have FCC set rules that will protect hams' rights against unreasonable restrictions imposed by HOA's.

[TABLE="class: bordercolor, width: 100%"]
    [TD][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TD="class: windowbg, bgcolor: #EEEEEE"][TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TD="width: 85%"][FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]The Request for Comments (in pdf format) can be found at this link

You can submit your comments FCC's Electronic Comment Filing System at
    Click on Submit a Filing, then enter "12-91" in the "Proceeding Number" field and click Continue for further instruction.
    You can also send your comments by mail to the address provided in the Request for Comments release.

You can see comments that were already submitted at
    Click Search for Filings, enter "12-91" in the "Proceeding Number" field and click Search for Comments

Please, do you part to help hams who live under restricted covenants.

S. Bucki

2. NG2Q

NG2Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow.. finally something..
  3. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

If only HOA was the restrictive party and not a certain life partner.
  4. KA4AQM

KA4AQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having difficulty with filling in info at bottom of comment template...
  5. W2NTV

W2NTV Ham Member QRZ Page

My XYL TOO!!! "no you cant... you better NOT... WHAT!!!" what can the FCC do for me on this restiction... haha
  6. WS4E

WS4E Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they are going to count more than just ham who have been officially denied requests by their HOA.

Most hams don't even bother to ask, but are still technically being hampered in their abilities due to the HOA regs.
  7. K4YZ

K4YZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear ya! When I went "partner shopping", making sure that she clearly understood that this is a significant part of my life and any unreasonable spousal objections would be reason to "just say no" before we got to the altar was a priority for me. She's now W5AMY.

Steve, K4YZ
  8. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"they are asking about how CC&R's (restrictive covenants) may impede hams"

Really? If the FCC doesn't know the answer to this question, then where have they been all this time?

Perhaps they need another governmental study like the one where researchers wanted to know why hookers have unsafe sex while drunk. Took years to come to a conclusion on that one.

Your tax dollars at work.

9. KD8KQH

KD8KQH Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course they know, but they need to show that there is a critical mass of people who are affected and who care about the problem. You see, we live under a system called "democracy", where people's opinion counts. Now, you can put smart comments hear and feel good about yourself, or you can employ this time more productively contributing with valuable input to the FCC inquiry. Most people love to spend hours bitching about things, but never move a finger to change them.
    S. Bucki
  10. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ya...what he said!

Mike KK2DOG
  11. N9JPS

N9JPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Fight with PR not BS

Restrictive covenants and HOA's exists to ensure the largest price when you or your neighbors sell their property. It is all about the money, not about assisting a small (and decreasing) demographic of our modern society. I am not against doing something to allow more freedoms with what you do with your property, but CC&R's are written to the "lowest common denominator". If we, the HOA, allows this gentleman to erect an antenna for "emergency" or "hobby" use, why not allow the next neighbor to erect a 35ft tall "fire pole" on the exterior of the house from his second floor window for "emergency" use to exit the house in a hurry? And it can be used for the kids to have some fun, ("hobby"; I am, of course, playing devil's advocate here.) Of course, there are more practical and technical uses of amateur radio than a piece of playground equipment. There is also the avocation of AR in an emergency for the whole HOA and wider community. Getting past the $$$$ to allow effective and reasonable use of antennae for activities in AR is the crux of the issue. As the saying goes, "Money talks, BS walks!" And a lot of "smartphone" users look at AR as a BS-filled hokey throwback of an "old art form" of communications. Getting past perceptions, however justified or not, is like climbing a mountain without gear. Working with your local communities and your neighbors and those on the HOA boards seems better than trusting the gov'ment to do something about CC&R's. Good PR! Just sayin'!
  12. VK3TWM

VK3TWM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen to that brother!
  13. VK3TWM

VK3TWM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Amen to that brother!!!
  14. KK6L

KK6L Ham Member QRZ Page

Did my part; put in a comment this evening...
  15. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

16. KH6DC

KH6DC Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Come on everyone, get out your pencils and start writing. Also get your friends to do the same. We can finally change things for the hams living in HOA/CC&R communities with strict antenna or no antenna policies, like myself come this summer. When the Japan Tsunami alerts went out, I volunteered as a civil defense spotter and watched for wave heights using the activated civil defense vhf net. I bet when disaster struck, each of you got involved in one way or another and many of you probably live in a HOA/CC&R community. I'll be spending parts of this weekend writing my comments. 73 and Aloha from Hawaii, Delwyn KH6DC
  17. KL7YK

KL7YK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My turn to rant.......

Amazing, I read through the most recent comments sent to the FCC on this question. Low and behold the flood gates were opened.
    The question is basically how is EMCOMM and Amateur Radio being impacted by the likes of HOA's and CC&R's.
    Not how things have been ruined by No Code Hams. Someone actually responded with a request to raise the power limits on FRS radios?
    Really? What on earth does FRS or GMRS for that matter have to do with Amateur Radio or EMCOMM Operations?

It's great that people want to get involved with Government. I'm all for that, but some of the responses that have been submitted are laughable.

If you want to help, then help. Don't whine about how it used to be. And there are proper channels for complaining about HF interference problems, use them.

If these people would just stick to the actual question it would help everyone and save a lot of time. The FCC needs to be made aware of how many people are being effected by the Antenna Nazi's. Yes, they know its a problem but maybe not the scale. Same with your legislators, they work for the loudest groups and Hams have been silent for too long.

Respond to this, tell the FCC that Amateurs are being restricted to death in most modern developments. Ham Radio antennas do not ruin the property values, this has been proven time and time again. In Alaska like most of the Pacific Northwest, Earthquakes and Tsunamis are a real threat. Fewer and fewer EMCOMM capable Hams means less EMCOMM response in a disaster. VHF/UHF is all well and good for local work, but like we saw when Katrina hit the Gulf Coast those repeater based systems should never be counted on. HF will work, I don't care what mode you choose. CW, Digital or phone.
    Without at least a simple wire antenna your not talking on HF. The HOA's and CC&R's want no antennas because they do not understand the threat. They are under the impression that the Government will step in and take care of communications, like FEMA did in the Gulf?
    Since common sense won't get them to accept the obvious then it's time the laws are change to force them to see daylight.
    If not for the law they would still be denying Dish Network Antennas or as is the case here now Digital TV Antennas.

Most of us trapped in these developments would be happy if they would just allow wire dipoles that are made of 20ga wire. From 50 feet away you couldn't even see that against the sky. Having asked and been denied by a HOA Board for just such an antenna for the purpose of the Amateur Hobby and EMCOMM (I even sited that I needed this as I was involved with Army MARS).

Yes I am frustrated by the process, but I am further dismayed by some Amateurs who don't live with restrictions and simply say we should move. How practical is that? I seriously doubt most Hams can simply up and move to pursue their radio involvement.

Am done with the rant. All I ask is if you respond to this question about how is EMCOMM and Amateur Radio being impacted, tell the FCC that PB-1 did not go anywhere near far enough. I don't know the number of Hams living under restrictions but I have to think its a lot more than we can live with.

So your turn, slam me if you must.

Ron, KL7YK
    Anchorage, AK
  18. W3DBB

W3DBB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've read the FCC Public Notice. It's writer has more questions than a hippie at a Chamber of Commerce meeting. Furthermore there is no body of research to support possible answers to just about all of these questions. The FCC is required to solicit these comments by the enactment of a Public Law. FCC might as well be asking for anecdotes, because they're sure going to get them. Just wait until the banking and homebuilding lobbyists get into the act.
  19. N3JQD

N3JQD Ham Member QRZ Page

A very timely and worthwhile article. I'll be glad to add my commentaries to the FCC. I too live in an HOA home developement, ( A.K.A. Gestapo), and would like to have more antennas. Other than my wire hidden in the trees.
  20. KD8NGE

KD8NGE Ham Member QRZ Page

Done and sent!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.