ad: elecraft

ICOM IC-706MKIIG - the final word!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

ICOM IC-706MKIIG - the final word!

Amateur Radio Victoria
    reports that the Icom IC-706MkIIG transceiver will definately cease production.

In a news report just received, they say:

Despite deniers in the USA, it has been confirmed that Wednesday 9 December is the last day that the ICOM plant in Wakayama, Japan will produce the IC-706MKIIG transceiver.

ICOM Australia said it has checked with Japan and been reassured that the earlier advice received that the popular transceiver has been discontinued is correct.

The reason is that some components used in the IC-706MKIIG are no longer available and the model had to cease production.

For more on this story see the news section of the Amateur Radio Victoria website www.amateurradio.com.au

Source: Amateur Radio Victoria

Get Southgate Amateur Radio News by Email

Don't wait all week for the news!
    Amateur Radio News - updated daily - 365 days per year

2. W0GAC

W0GAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh... So Sad!

I am glad. Never liked that radio. Lots of issues and ran way to hot! The IC-7000 is a much better product.

:rolleyes:

3. W4JPL

W4JPL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Icom IC706 ceases production

"The reason is that some components used in the IC-706MKIIG are no longer available and the model had to cease production."

Some components are no longer available? What happens if a rig needs to be repaired?
    73, John W4JPL

4. AB8XA

AB8XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If this is really the case, it sounds like Icom is giving up this slice of the market to the Yaesu FT-857D/897D, which along with the 706, cost MUCH less dinero than the IC-7000.

If it is indeed due to a part unavailability, does that mean the similar IC-703 PLUS will also go, ceding the QRP market to the Yaesu FT-817ND? Maybe not.

5. PH5E

PH5E Ham Member QRZ Page

6. N5TGL

N5TGL Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

7. N0BAV

N0BAV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Product Discontinuation

I really can't figure, " parts are no longer available". I have a TS-850s and hear the same line. For some reason, parts are still being manufactured for my 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee Tractor! Is there a problem (sic) in foreign production?

NØBAV in Nebraska

8. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason, after a lightning strike, that I replaced the dead 706 with an 897.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  9. AB1FV

AB1FV Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps, but I have found that programming an Icom is easier than programming a Yaesu. At least I think so.....;)

10. KC9FSH

KC9FSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't believe anything until something official comes from Icom and is posted on THEIR site not the amateur radio club in Australia.

I hope that the 706mkkig's don't stop production but at the same time it's been out for 10 years now and I'm surprised that they haven't stopped production already. Hopefully if they stop production of the 706 it will make the 7000 cheaper.

11. N4ZAW

N4ZAW Ham Member QRZ Page

If they can't compete,they might as well bail

From the links, I've found they have no plans on ditching production on the snake-bit 703+, yet the 706 is being cut...
    umm... What the???? :confused:
    They need produce a canidate to run for office!! With that logic, they'd be a "shoe-in".:mad:

12. WA4TM

WA4TM Ham Member QRZ Page

Dang, I think I hurt myself laughing at that statement.. :D
    If anything changes, the 7000 will go up!!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  13. AB8XA

AB8XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What's "snake-bit" about the 703+?

14. AI5L

AI5L Guest

No productipn lasts for ever.

One consideration when purchasing a radio is balancing maturity of a product with obsolescence. When I weighed the Kenwood TS-2000 with the MKIIG and IC-7000, it came down to not enough data on the performance & reliability of the IC-7000, age of the MKIIG, and while the TS-2000 is getting old, it was the best bang for the buck compared to the IC-7000.;)

15. KC9FSH

KC9FSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey I can hope, even if it is a unrealistic hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.