ad: Schulman-1

ICOM IC-705

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Nov 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting.

KD5BVX and M1WML like this.
  2. WB9MSM

WB9MSM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow Great video! Thank you for all you did to present this to everyone. Very informative, interesting and professionally done! 73, Denny WB9MSM (Happy Elecraft K2/100 Owner)

M1WML and 2E0TWD like this.
  3. KI7ZRF

KI7ZRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess i would appreciate some more detail if you have the time. I did watch the video.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    M1WML likes this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, I'd rather wait at least 5 minutes of recording from the upcoming CQ WW from anybody with 705.

How many more years do I need to wait for a modern mobile SDR rugged replacement for 706 from Icom?

Maybe it will be 707 in enclosure from 706 with 705 stuffing?

M1WML and WD5GWY like this.
  5. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Depending on where you start counting this is the 4th or 5th generation SDR.

M1WML likes this.
  6. KI7ZRF

I just meant small tweaks, hopefully, an internal tuner (one less thing). I have the 7300 already. I have no problems with the SDR.

M1WML likes this.
  7. K8HIT

K8HIT Ham Member QRZ Page

That might be a long wait with Icom making an external tuner (AH-705) for the IC-705.

K0UO and M1WML like this.
  8. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 7300 and put a deposit on a 705, but as delivery was delayed and as the price became clearer, I switched gears. In April, I went for a Xiegu G90 at one-third the cost, with a great ATU and 20 watts. Julian did a great job with the video and I was getting enthusiastic again with the great touchscreen and many features. In the end, the digital modes, Bluetooth, GPS are not of that much interest to me and the need for a tuner or antennas that don’t require one, makes it too expensive. I may be in the minority.

M1WML likes this.
  9. AJ6KZ

AJ6KZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm with you. This radio doesn't fit my needs. That doesn't mean it's not a good radio, however. I'm going to bet that for those that ARE into digital modes the single USB cable will be a really nice feature.

M1WML likes this.
  10. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Look's great for car or a weekend vacation. I think ICOM has a good handle on there radio's &
    what people want. think they are on top of the game, keep up the good work.

M1WML likes this.
  11. KI7ZRF

You are most likely correct.

M1WML likes this.
  12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5YUB, M1WML and K7GYB like this.
  13. N8LRG

N8LRG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Julian,
    Nice video and a great radio. I do want to point out one thing in your video. You appear to have the RF gain at maximum as indicated by the RFG symbol on the display. As with other ICOM's this usually means that the SDR receiver is being over driven. Reduce the RF gain until the RFG indicator goes off and you will notice an improvement on the RX side. BTW I made a US to New Zealand SSB QSO with the IC-705, of course I was using my home station TH7 antenna up 70 feet, but it does show that is can be done. Although a great all around radio, I will be using mine as an IF for the 10ghz portable setup.

73 and thank for the many videos on portable setups.

Phil
    N8LRG

K0UO and M1WML like this.
  14. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Fantastic Julian!

This vid sold me on it. All the others did not even scratch the surface. Especially like the power consumption and the ability to limit it. Single cable is a plus along with OS compatibility. Where the Ner'do wells only touched on the silly stuff you took it to the practical level for critical thinkers.
    Now I have to get one having the information missed by all the others. Keep up the good work!

M1WML likes this.
  15. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Foe me I am sold on the filters, GPS interface and single cable along with power consumption. I agree for the money it should be better hardened but I use digital modes a lot and want to reduce power consumption in the field so this could happily replace my 817 and 891 in the field. I don't use Icom handhelds so It would be an expense to switch for the batteries but if I love it as much as Julian does it may be worthwhile. Only thing I would want to know is how it stands up to harsh conditions and vibration.
    I know the 817 and 891 have been tough rigs so far in the field and on the water.

M1WML likes this.