ad: UR5CDX-1

HRD Spring Update; New Release. 6.2.9.354

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Mar 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Will Murphy attend as well?:) Fry's is a great place but hope none of the rigs get fried at Fry's:) 73, have fun, Michelle

2. WA3CAS

WA3CAS Ham Member QRZ Page

6.2.9.354 doesn't work on my Win8.1 laptop. Popup error messages galore. Logbook and DM780 has new problems where problems didn't exist before. I'm back to 6.2.8.330 where everything works as well as it used to.

3. K1OC

K1OC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Donner Digital Interface quite happily with HRD 6.x, along with a USB-serial adapter for PTT.

73 de Tony

4. WZ4K

WZ4K Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bobby,

The profile issue is caused by where the data is saved - right-click to start the program and "Run as Administrator" - your profile changes will stick. They are aware of this issue and are working on the fix(or so they report)

HTH, Howard

5. VK5IR

VK5IR Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I'd like WAV file support where I can fire off a CQ call for example that repeats every x amount of seconds set by me.

N1MM has 10 different buttons that can be mapped to WAV files - see below:

N1MM.PNG

It would really help I'm calling CQ DX etc...

6. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

A business model without recurring payments of some type is an eventual failed business model. Look at MixW, hardly any development in years. Pay once an gone, means the developer(s) lose interest. With HRD LLC, by asking for annual support, there will be dedicated long-term interest.

7. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

And a new Fortran release is coming later this year. Still going strong after 5 decades!

8. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as I know, HRD is the only company where you pay for a lifetime software license but then they charge you for upgrades after a period of time.

We have desktops and laptops in our house that have either Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 and those are being continuously upgraded free of charge and I assume they will be until Microsoft stops supporting them as they have done with XP. They used this same "business model" with XP and Vista.

Apple used to charge for major version upgrades to their iOS many years ago, but it didn't take long for them to figure out that was a bad idea. My wife and I both have an iPhone 5s and we are now on iOS 8.2... and we have never paid for a version upgrade.

Love them or hate them, I think most people will admit that these companies have fairly successful business models.

I think there is a little more going on with MixW than the loss of interest with Nick UT2UZ and Denis UU9JDR. Even though their website shows that they both live in Kiev, if you look up their callsigns, you will see that Nick lives in Kiev, but Denis lives in Sevastopol which is in Crimea. I don't know if you have been following the news, but Crimea has been claimed by Russia and is no longer a part of Ukraine... according to Putin. This being the case, there may be more going on between these two developers than a simple loss of interest! While these two guys may have been close friends at one point in time, they may now have different political allegiances that are keeping them apart. This was not a friendly take over of Crimea!

So in other words, the owners of HRD have to be bribed in order for them to retain interest in their program? Look at programs like FLDIGI, DX Labs, N1MM+, not for their functionality but for the fact that these programs are being updated/upgraded continuously despite the fact that their developers do it for free! So this argument that software will wither and die if the developers don't get paid is more the exception than the rule because there are many fine examples of developers who offer excellent software to the amateur community for free simply because they love what they do.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  9. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Lifetime licence with one year of support and new features and lifetime bug fixes.. about 25% havent renewed their licence, but can still use 6.3.9.354 with all the bug fixes, but no new features. How hard is this to understand?

Apple and Microsoft have business support agreements that are contracts, that is their revenue stream.

You are comparing Billion dollar companies to Us, which is crazy. I don't understand why Scott continues to trash us. He didn't like the program and I broke our policy and gave him a refund, even though he didn't try the 30 day demo.

Considering we get 15-20 orders a day and Ive added two staff members in March, seems to say our business model works. Some hams dont want to pay, thats fine, they dont. They can use Free DxLabs, Logger or even free HRD with my blessing.

Scott, you have to be 'bribed' to continue to do you job. You get a paycheck. So do I and my staff That's the way the USA works.. people buy, it creates jobs and people get paid and the economy gets better.

Name any other ham software company that employees more that one person? QRZ yes... Flex... well they sell hardware too.

The business model works.. Now we have 3 programmers and Im about to hire a 4th support person. We are reinvesting in the company with the sales...

It's the business model of the USA. Sell, Make money, hire people.

Ive created jobs with HRD, how many jobs for fellow hams have you created, Scott? ;)

Rick - w4pc

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  10. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

We'll work on this post the next release of HRD, which will address the permissions issue with a new migration utility .

Look for it by Dayton :)

11. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

And you probably never will.

Rick, you can permanently ban me from your forum, but until a moderator bans me from this forum, I am pretty much free to express my opinion on QRZ. And if that were to happen, so be it. I would probably miss it for about 10 minutes. Amateur radio may be a business for you, but it is strictly a recreational past time for me and QRZ is strictly a source of entertainment for me.

12. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Scott,

You really should give it a rest. It's clear that you're of the belief that software has no intrinsic value and that the people who create it aren't worthy of remuneration. No contributing editor on this forum has the ability to ban a member. Only administrators, such as myself, can do that. Some readers are probably wondering why I haven't banned you already. As the site owner, I tend to have a bit more finesse than our volunteers, but only to a point. Since my decisions cannot be overridden, you've reached the ultimate in your attention getting exercise.

I suppose that I always harbor the hope that those who love to argue for argument's sake will eventually get bored and walk away. In this case, however, you're insulting a hard working small business and essentially trying to convince everyone to act like you and refuse to pay for useful software. That draws a line in my opinion and I simply won't stand for any further denigration of HRD in this matter. The issue of whether or not HRD should be a commercial product is moot, and it isn't up for debate. Your free market rights are to vote with your wallet, not your keyboard, at least not here on QRZ.

You mentioned that QRZ is your entertainment. You should think very carefully about what you say next on the site because you're on the precipice of losing your privileges. In the event that you really don't care about that, don't expect any surprise when the word "Banned" suddenly appears below your call. You won't be receiving any goodbye messages from us.

13. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, that's not entirely true. It is possible to still get updates to Windows XP. I had that in place until I finally replaced the shack XP computer with a newer Windows 7 one a couple of weeks ago.

Just do a search on "XP" and "POS", and remember "POS" has two meanings, only one of which starts with "Piece Of"

14. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect Mr. Lloyd, this could not be further from the truth. I do not begrudge Mr. Ruhl and his partners from selling their software. To imply that I believe that software has no intrinsic value and that the people who create it aren't worthy of remuneration is utterly ridiculous. I also have no problem with paying for useful software. After all, I initially paid $99.95 for the software. You make it sound as if I purposely selected HRD as a company to pick on because they have the gall, the audacity and the nerve to charge for amateur radio software.

Obviously I have issues with HRD, not just with the software, but with the company. I won't go into the details here, but suffice it to say that my "customer service experience" with HRD Software, LLC was less than satisfactory. The reason I mentioned those other pieces of amateur radio software that are given away free of charge is because I have been treated with more respect from some of them than from a company from whom I paid for support.

Mr. Lloyd, do what you want in terms of my privilege to post on your forum, but all I ask is that you realize that there are two sides to every story and I am pretty sure that up to this point you have only heard one.

Either way, this is obviously my final post with regards to Ham Radio Deluxe, the program or the company.

15. VK5IR

VK5IR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.