ad: UR5CDX-1

HRD Software, LLC Announces Departure of co-Founder, Rick Ruhl, W4PC

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by HRDSALES, Dec 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9PIE

WA9PIE QRZ Lifetime Member #305 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

We've got it covered. Aside from recent events, the company has been very successful. I'm looking forward to a fantastic new year that will be pleasing to our customers and our team.

Mike, WA9PIE

KE0CU and KA0HCP like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mike,

To a certain degree, IMO, the OP created this mudslinging. It doesn't take a genius to read tension and conflict from the wording and mixed tone of the press release. For example: few attorneys recommend using the term 'pursue other interests' anymore, for reasons that should be obvious. 'Retired' is not 'pursue other interests'. 'Health reasons' is not 'pursue other interests'.'Pursue other interests' is code wording for 'out on your butt', in 2017 anyway. In 1990, for example, it was still novel and sufficiently ambiguous.

You should have graciously thanked Rick (who publicly states he is "retired") AND then stress who the new leader is and WHAT GOALS you seek to work on. A bulleted list of 3 or 4 would have been very helpful given the vocal dissastisfaction of some customers.

When you guys get your act together, I will consider buying HRD software. It sounds like a dream product--which is why some folks are bitter: they see the potential but encounter fatal glitches in execution and the customer-vendor feedback loop. IMO, based on what I am reading.

These are easy fixes.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  3. K8PJM

K8PJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been using HRD for some years now starting with Simon's versions. Have had good luck with it since I use it mostly for the digital modes. This past year at Dayton I picked up a IC-7300 and while there I purchased a copy of the current HRD. Must admit the people at Dayton working the HRD booth were great.

Had a little trouble getting the 7300 to play nice with HRD. Got in contact with customer support and they offered some advice. At this point I still didn't get it working right, but with the help of Ham Radios online world I managed to get it working. Youtube was a big help getting the 7300 working right. HRD plays nice with my TS-2000, so at this point I really like the software. As I learn more about the 7300 I am sure everything will be ok.

I wish all those at HRD the best of luck!

4. K2BEW

K2BEW Ham Member QRZ Page

While I like DXlabs a lot and yes it is great software I have to honestly say it does not have "everything" HRD has, it lacks a lot in digital modes, that is the one reason I have continued to use HRD.

5. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had support on Christmas Eve, and Christmas day from HRD (December 25, 2016!) !

I don't know about the shake up...but no supplier of Ham equipment that I know of would provide support on Christmas eve, and Christmas day...!

Yes, the issues are fixed, (It was all a matter of programming correctly to my unique situation)

FYI I bought the HRD Product on December 20th, 2016....

Lets face it, this program does plenty, and there are countless configurations, and countless hardware equipment, with this infinite possibilities I actually give HRD credit to support a product that only costs $100 (USD)

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is cool.

Amazon delivered packages using USPS on Christmas Day.

Santa must have been to busy.

7. KM4IY

KM4IY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

this describes EXACTLY what happened to me. all they would ever say is RTFM. i did, several times, either their manual was wrong or the software was buggy. they didn't like what i said :-( i was banned for life. BUT i still use the free version (almost 3 years) and am quite happy, i might consider going back under different circumstances...

8. G4DWV

G4DWV Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick was often on Tech Support and/or customer facing. From my dealings with him, I can say he was a nasty piece of work.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

VK3AMA likes this.
  9. G4DWV

G4DWV Ham Member QRZ Page

The decoding in DM780 is based on FLDigi. The author of that program appears in the HRD credits.

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

10. KW4HQ

KW4HQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Code hasn't changed for it either I don't believe.

11. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W4PC Bio reads---RETIRED---ok sure yep uh-huh.

It should read...CAUGHT

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, airing out your complaints , in this case in a defamatory way--there is no other way of construing "CAUGHT" as other than breaking the law -- is distasteful. It also could cost you big bucks if there is a complaint filed against you by the injured party.

My observation, over 22 years, is that some hams love to force some others out of business and love to use the Zed and other forums to do that.

It does work sometimes, and other times it backfires (inadvertantly creating interest and new customers for the very people you want deep-sixed). Also, it has the strong result of deterring many new businesses from selling to hams.

If you don't know something as a FACT, may I suggest you not air it publicly. That's MO. Yours may differ.

Rick obviously timed his retirement with the end of FY2016, hardly an odd or unusual sense of timing.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  13. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

While your post is rather blunt and to the point, based on everything I've read and seen from both sides of the argument, the term "retired" is the least painful way that HRD could describe pushing W4PC out the door, so that the company is able get on with the business of rebuilding what can only be described as a severely damaged business product.

I would say he timed his "retirement" exactly as it should have been...quickly and (finally) decisively. Time will tell if HRD has done enough to end these blatantly unethical and abhorrent business practices.

Happy New Year, all.

15. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No reason to throw Rick further under the bus.

He already got ran over by the front wheels, No reason for him to get ran over by the rear axles.

I am retired and I still code. He can do the same.

Life goes on unless you really retire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.