ad: MyersEng-1

HR2.0 - Yaesu FTM-6000r | First Look at Yaesu's Newest Mobile Ham Radio - LIVE!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Nov 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like most who comment negatively on these posts on here, you clearly haven’t watched Josh’s videos if you claim he’s never negative about a product. He’s fair. As is Jason.

You’ve made your point in that you don’t like YouTube (unlike other teenagers) but your attempt at saying why they’re killing ham radio fall flat. It’s just not true and another’s comment here is just one example of many as to why - they benefited from Josh’s training.

Don’t watch the videos if you don’t like them. Nothing wrong with that.

2. N5HXR

N5HXR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, it wasn't one of those two, but... in 2019 a neighbor who is a big-time CB pirate was coming through on my active speakers, driving my kids nuts. While looking up how to add ferrites to my speaker cables, I randomly clicked on this video from Ham Radio Concepts. That was the impetus to start studying for my ham radio license.

So, I don't know... something something, counterexamples, etc., etc.

KD5BVX likes this.
  3. ZL1RD

ZL1RD Ham Member QRZ Page

What a jerk! You really have nothing to say so why not crawl back under the rock you crawled out from?

KD5BVX likes this.
  4. KF0DHQ

KF0DHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Fine. I'm done. Arguing [...snip....]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2021
  5. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

:D...he he he he...just gonna pull up a chair, sit back, down a beer and eat some popcorn ...who needs DollarTube, the entertainment is all here on the Zed :eek:

KF0DHQ, KE0GXN and WN1MB like this.
  6. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow this went sideways fast!

:p:p:p

7. KC3JH

KC3JH Ham Member QRZ Page

It sure did. And, it's really funny how nasty comments like calling other people a jerk are left alone, but remarks about the "goofy facial expressions" are quickly moderated out.

N4CAX, WC6Q, KF0DHQ and 1 other person like this.
  8. KD5BVX

It has, unfortunately, become the norm here on QRZ...people don't grasp the concept of simply scrolling on if they don't like something. For some reason, they feel the need to make negative comments toward the creators that QRZ saw fit to promote to the homepage. Fortunately the mods seem to keep it mostly in check, though it seems to have become a little more lax the last couple of weeks than in the recent past. There's a line between constructive criticism toward content and disparaging remarks toward content creators and it seems some cross it often.

9. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most just want a way to filter out certain types of content from the home page. Also, the financial interests involved with the content creators and QRZ site ownership is something that isn't fully explained by either group. Content creators post here in hopes of getting front page exposure for their own interests IMHO. Not the greater good of the ham community (in most cases...not necessarily all).

KF0DHQ, WC6Q, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  10. KD5BVX

IMHO, the content creators post on QRZ to simply share their videos with persons of the same hobby...QRZ posting it on the homepage is 100% a QRZ decision and they do so, again IMHO, because they feel the content is beneficial/newsworthy enough to be there. Whether or not someone makes money from a video or post is not a factor for me. Creating content isn't free - takes time and effort and equipment - so if they get compensated a little by ad revenue, etc., then that's due them as the creator. Clicking on the posts is 100% free will of each visitor to QRZ, which was my point about scrolling on by. I only click on about 10% of the posts that are shown on the homepage on any given day because that's all that interests me...but I don't go into the other 90% and post negative comments about them. That's the bigger issue here, that people seem to do that on some posts solely for the purpose of cutting down the creator. Petty.

11. W5CJA

Petty is certainly appropriate to describe some comments, for sure.

Not disclosing discounts on reviewed products, as I know one creator in this thread has done, is a real reason to be highly skeptical of one's motives.

I don't trust those who skirt FTC guidelines for disclosures...and I'll pop up with criticism where appropriate. There's a financial reason for posting here. QRZ knows it. The creators know it. Monetization drives nearly every post on the home page right now. If you want to enjoy watching shilling, so be it.

KF0DHQ, KC3JH, K4MZR and 1 other person like this.
  12. KZ4TN

KZ4TN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread, like so many others on QRZ, shows peoples disdain for change. Back when the no code requirement was enacted there was much grumbling about the loss the the true intent of the hobby.

As technology has changed, some welcome the change and others don't. Fortunately, at this point in the history of America, we are still entitled to our own opinions. Personally I find too many youtube videos poorly presented and taking up far too much of my time to provide me with the information that I hopped to get from watching the video. That being said, you're not being forced by some entity to watch it. If you don't like it...stop watching. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't have merit to others. Some people would complain it you hung them with a new rope.
    KZ4TN

KD5BVX likes this.
  13. W5CJA

You're missing the point.

14. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The true intent of the hobby is reached for many years. It wasnt just a hobby in the start, when Albert Hyman, Bob Almay and Peggy Murray started in 1908. It was made for the people and for a kind of free communication across the globe. And they saw for over 100 years, that the frequencies will get rare for free communications for less. Over the time much aspects were combined with the hobby. So it get more a mix of information exchange, new scientific matters and much more. And everybody, who is intrested in, can do special things like radio astronomy, satellite contacts, phonic contacts analog and digital, use HAMnet and use FT8 with a 9600 baud packet radio modem. These are just some examples. And in the case of the packet modem from the early 90s, there wasnt really a change in the hardware. It was the software that changed. And now here I think that the hobby reached its end for new things. And the problems which left, are sometimes for scientists not to explain too. The hobby is wide-ranging and sometimes a bit strange. But always good for to expand the own knowledge. And is there really a disdain by the people? I dont think so. Its more in what the people are intrested in. And when its get to special sometimes, people shut up because they dont want to follow these aspects and enjoy to remember in the past where everything was golden. It wasnt, but they think so.

15. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose the only option on the market for SSB V and U is the 7100?

I am really really really hoping that ICOM or Yaesu come out with a true SDR for mobile that does HF/V/U Dst/Fusion that would be great!

In the age of the SDR they are long long overdue. In all honesty a super het in a mobile is loud and noisy. I imagine that an SDR will be much quieter.