ad: QuirkyQRP-1

How to use a Manual Tuner

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Aug 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AI6XK

AI6XK Ham Member QRZ Page

I despise Cross-Needle meters, as right in the area where you need the most resolution, they are the least accurate!!! Everything has them, and they are ALL JUNK! :) -- However i really like your demonstration!!! i always use CW mode for tuning though... just key down, and tune up! :) -Have fun-

K8PG, KM9G, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  2. K8MP

K8MP Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't have time to check out the video.

When tuning an unknown antenna, I mid-range the caps and then adjust the inductance for max background noise.
    From that point, it's a matter of going back and forth with the caps until there's no reflected power. On rare occasions I've had to change the inductance from that initial setting.
    I have three manual tuners and I will never get an auto-tuner.

Question: How many of you have been QRMed by someone hitting their auto-tune button on top of a weak DX station? ARGHHHHH!

VE1GA and M1WML like this.
  3. KZ4TN

KZ4TN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a quick comment. If you also use your ATU for SWL, having a manual tuner is a big plus. I use a dedicated auto tuner for all my rigs, but when I am listening to an SDR, obviously I cannot transmit a carrier to tune the ATU. What I have found with my LDG Z-11 Pro II is that I can manually tune the ATU using the C-Up/Dn and the L-Up/Dn buttons to "tune" the ATU for better SDR reception.

KZ4TN

VU2EXP and M1WML like this.
  4. K7GFL

K7GFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn’t buy/use an MFJ anything, they are the biggest junk peddling company I have ever known.

W4BUS, KR3DX, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  5. KG5WDD

KG5WDD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great Video, shows most of what I learned the hard way.

KM9G and M1WML like this.
  6. W8VIJ

W8VIJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

;);););)

M1WML and AI5DD like this.
  7. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Dey dunna 'tune' nothin'. But what they do is best done with a manual matching unit. No power needed, give decades of reliable service, usually lightweight, even for portable use.

M1WML likes this.
  8. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

The SWR Meter in the tuner is the better choice for to tune in. Just forget the build-in SWR in the transceiver. Just have an eye on the tuner. And for to adjust the inductance just listen to the noise. When the noise signal is the loudest, thats perfect. At next just tune in the transmitter and antenna knobs. But in the case of the manual tuner it is really unlikely to adjust again after changing the frequency only a few kHz higher or lower. I personally use the MFJ-971. To tune in a longwire , equal which shape it takes, is really simple. From a strechted wire up to a slinky (helical antenna) is everything allowed.

M0MNE and M1WML like this.
  9. AD0IM

AD0IM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've recently taken to tuning with a NANOVNA or my rig-expert connected to my 969. I pick the frequency I want to operate at/near, make my adjustments, then plug the transceiver back in. This is not too practical for field use, but it works and is a lot of fun.

M0MNE, M1WML and N3RYB like this.
  10. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Never had a problem with mine.

11. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep my MFJ 259B plugged into a transceiver switch. When I want to adjust the roller inductor tuner, I switch to the analyzer and adjust until I get a 50 ohm match. Switch back to the transmitter when I'm done. Gets it perfect every time, no QRM either :)

K4FMH, M0MNE and M1WML like this.
  12. NI0F

NI0F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have gone back to switched inductor matches. The roller inductors need so much cleaning and maintenance that they rarely work smoothly, I even had a Palstar and it needed a lot of cleaning. I agree manual antenna matches are much better than automatics if you are looking at having the lowest consistent SWR and are usually a lot more broadbanded after tuning. And I echo K7RLN's comment, I've had very little trouble with the MFJ gear I've owned over many years. I've still got a 949D that is ancient, has always worked perfectly.

M1WML and N3RYB like this.
  13. KA8VNG

KA8VNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Run the IC 7300 hr. and I prefer a manual tuner also.

M1WML likes this.
  14. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got an older MFJ 986 and indeed the roller needs cleaned every so often otherwise it appears to crackle when tuning it with the antenna analyzer. That's one of those things that ought to be mentioned as periodic maintenance on roller inductors, they need cleaned!

15. W0MN

W0MN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not much of a video. He was playing around as though he were lost. Simple is to start by tuning Inductor for maximum noise and then e the capacitors for maximum noise. After that with low power tune for minimum SWR. Easy peasy. WRITE THE RESULT down. It will help althogh they will chane from time to time based omn outdoor conditions.

VU2EXP, VK6APZ/SK2022, WB9AZA and 8 others like this.