ad: elecraft

How To Help The FT-8 Contest This Weekend

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by W0VRA, Apr 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Haha, you're right, I don't even know what to ask!

Yeah, you could use Google Remote Desktop to run an FT8 station from anywhere.

Yeah, it's not clear whether someone working QRP has to work another QRP station for it to count. I suppose I could set my output using the slider in WSJT-X and monitor the meter on the antenna tuner to keep it under 5W. I'm using a ubitx rig and it's a little over 5W on some bands.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Continuing with your 'helping out' motivation. Unless you are now considering active participation in the contest, there is no way organizers can force non active participants to follow the contest rules, and it would be crazy to penalize participants contacting non active participants.

As for the other points N2SUB raised, just be mindful not the break any FCC rules first and foremost, and gentlemen's agreement second, if you care about the latter.

3. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if someone in the contest is looking for an Illinois contact under the QRP category because there's an all-states thing, I'd like to help, even if I'm not competing in the contest. Would a QRP contester need me to QRP for it count for him/her?

4. VA3VF

Unless this contest is different than others, no, you do not need to be QRP for a QRP entrant to earn the contact points.

I'm getting the feeling, since I did not read the contest rules, that this may be a different kind of contest, with different practices. I may be way out of my depth here. Hopefully others with specific knowledge will step in.

5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Digging a little deeper into their site, I find both their FT 8 contesting rules and their "regular" FT 8 operating guide.

"Use the normal FT8 subbands, other modes or the WARC bands to avoid FT8 contests."........... that inplies that the contest freqs are different from the usual subband freqs.

also
    "Check the contest rules for suggested or permitted frequencies. It’s a good idea to define them in WSJTX’s frequencies table so they appear on the band selector.".......... the problem is the contest rules don't specify the freqs. "most" contest use the entire available band:eek:

It's gonna be a bloodbath in Europe.

N2SUB likes this.
  6. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It'll be interesting for sure... I think operating frequencies should have been organized in a manner similar to the December 1-2, 2018 Roundup.

For those unfamiliar with that event, here's how it was handled: https://www.rttycontesting.com/ft8-roundup/preparation/frequencies/

ND6M likes this.
  7. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally would like to see Dr. Taylor and Mr. Franke program FT8 so that anything over 10 watts shuts the program down. Then copyright the program so that it cannot legally be changed.

Using 100 watts with FT8 is like calling a 100 watt radio a QRP rig. It's a crime.
    John
    K4AGO

N2SUB and ND6M like this.
  8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to mention the stations that run legal limit thru a gain antenna.

9. VA3VF

FT8 is not necessarily a low power mode, but a weak signal one.

Yes, 100W on 20M may be excessive most of the time. Not the case on 160 or 80M.