ad: wmr-1

How is my "signal"? WHAT does that question REALLY MEAN?

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KE0VH, Jan 18, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of you really interested, we will have a discussion on this during the NEXT SkyHubLink.com repeater linking system Monday night NET (01/22/24) on air! We invite you to join in with us for the discussion.

Lets think about “Good Amateur Operating” practices. When someone asks, "How is my signal, what is REALLY being asked by that operator?

So many times we get reports of things “dropping out” on linked repeater systems such as SkyHubLink.com, and other anomalies that just happen with these internet connected OVER THE AIR RADIO systems.

One of the things we need to learn to do is how to do proper reporting of anomalies to those who look after the systems we are communicating with or thru. And then, keeping in mind, is this EVEN worth reporting?

Several things to always keep in mind, first and foremost, our radio systems are connected via the internet. When drops occur, the first question to ask is, “is this really worth reporting?” What is really happening? Where could it be happening? Do I have a general understanding of WHAT could be occurring?

As system operators, we are keenly aware that sometimes drops occur and there is really almost nothing we can do about it. Who knows how many bounces across the internet our voice takes from one repeater to another?

Is the particular ISP that the two different repeaters are connected to having any sort of issue such as a lost packet or even more in a router in their building?

How about the local connection at the repeater and how is that accomplished.

Is someone using WiFi on a hotspot or router and reporting that they are hearing drops or having drops but yet it may be only on their end?

We have several repeaters that are internet connected via their hosts via a network microwave circuit. What could be happening there?

We have several repeaters that are linked to the internet via several commercial hosts. WHAT COULD be happening on their end and system?

DID YOU have an RF signal drop in either receive or transmit on the repeater, hotspot, or connection you are using?

IF MOBILE, and especially on the digital side, did we drive or move thru a possible dead spot to that repeater that would have caused a loss of signal?

IS SOMEONE on the ragged edge or bad spot of an analog repeater? That would make their audio sometimes unintelligible on the cross moded digital connection, and while readable on the analog side, however noisy, is very garbled on the digital side

These are just SOME of the myriad possibilities that could make a drop or difference in what is happening with radio communications.

LETS TALK ABOUT the constant asking of “how’s my signal or audio”.

First of all, we need to remember that we are ONLY transmitting 2.5 to 3 khz worth of bandwidth with our amateur radio audio. That is so that the bands are not cluttered up with too much space being taken up and wasted for voice audio. It is just not necessary for more than that to facilitate human voice transmissions and readability. WE are NOT transmitting FM STEREO. CAN WE understand the station on the other side, are they intelligible?

Is it really necessary to even offer an opinion on their intelligibility UNLESS we can’t understand their last transmission, (would a repeat serve to complete the communication?) if they didn’t ask? Will we cause them unnecessary consternation over something that isn’t necessarily on “their end”?

Are they asking for a report on their “signal” or their “audio” and do YOU KNOW how to discern the difference. Are YOU being SPECIFIC in what you are commenting on? REALLY SPECIFIC, and IS IT necessary for the facilitation of the communication?

Where are YOU located and what repeater are you on, do you actually know? And what is that repeaters characteristics at the particular location you may be at or traveling thru. ARE YOU FAMILIAR?

These are just SOME and PART of the BIG PICTURE regarding radio communications.

SO WHAT TO DO, WHAT IS THE CONCLUSION?

Maybe the best response is to simply ask for a repeat of your communicating party’s last transmission. Or say (not “you” or “your signal”), “Hey I didn’t copy that, can you repeat it?”

When someone asks me about are they “making the repeater” I always ask which repeater they are on, or look at the “Status” page of SkyHubLink.com. That could affect my answer.

Most of the time these days, UNLESS THEY ASK ME SPECIFICALLY, (and if they do ask I ask them to BE SPECIFIC) when someone comes on and asks how they are doing, I simply say, solid copy I understand you just fine, you are perfectly readable (which can be even if their signal is somewhat noisy or low), or something like that. If they are readable and understandable, unless asked, I just go on with the conversation.

IF ASKED, Make sure you UNDERSTAND exactly what is being asked, and know about the rest of the parameters that could be affecting your answer. We really need to stop with generalities and guessin’. That can really cause someone to maybe be chasing totally unnecessary issues with their station or their situation.

These are all things that we should all strive to be more familiar with as amateur radio operators. It is all part of what we do and say on the air.

I will be posting this on the SkyHubLink.com website. Stand by for more, and I hope to hear from you on the NEXT SkyHubLink.com Monday Night NET, at 7pm Mountain Time, 8pm Central.

73’
    Jack

Jack E. Roland KEØVH
    www.ke0vh.com
    www.skyhublink.com
    https://www.youtube.com/@CapnJackFltSimChannel

W9EBE, N3RYB and KI5GOP like this.
  2. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a regular on our group who constantly asks, how do I sound.
    If you answer that he then launches into a long transmission about the parametric audio settings, changing microphones, and his tribulations at finding the best setting.
    Being a believer in tough love my instant answer is, 'Q5 and unfortunately it sounds just like you,'
    The other morning we were the only ones on during the pre-net chatter and I could tell he was fighting the compulsion to ask, how do I sound.
    There was a lot of stuttering and dead air as he desperately tried to have a conversation without his cherished topic.
    There is hope for him yet.

KB2SUJ likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It does seem to be an obsession with some operators. Maybe we need to come up with a name for it.

Separate but related when it comes to reports on repeaters/repeater systems is signal reporting. Often hear signal reports where one station tells the other they are 5-9. Unless they are listening on the input it's the repeater that's 5-9 or more accurately "full quieting".

A more accurate report would be something like "You are full quieting (as the case may be) into the repeater" the repeater signal would be a separate report.

4. N3LHQ

N3LHQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes, it's the only way you fine out your radio is working correctly! My TS-850 was off frequency on every band, a Gentleman in Florida helped me. My transmit would be correct, it was the receive that was off. Once repaired, I would still listen during pile ups. Once I had the frequency, I'd check it with QRZ post. HAMS help HAMS!!!

5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

then, we have a guy with a horrible carrier, and terrible audio. AND he doesnt care, gets angry if hes reminded.
    the instant he keys, with no audio,i know exactly who he is.
    his friends wont hurt his feelings and tell him... old cb buddies im guessin...

K3XR likes this.