ad: Radclub22-1

How Did QSL Cards Become a Thing?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB7DKZ

WB7DKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Post deleted.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Andy - the post with the picture had a broken link. I'd love to see it - can you try again? Use the "Upload a File" button and do it that way.

Dave
    W7UUU

3. WB7DKZ

QSL Rotated.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2019
    KF4ZKU likes this.
  4. WB7DKZ

Thanks dave...must be the computers fault :). I think I fixed it. Thanks!

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Cool shot!! Sometimes the best things are the result of an unintended mistake :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WB7DKZ likes this.
  6. N3MCO

N3MCO Ham Member QRZ Page

But now I cant tell what bike you are riding. The gearhead in me must know! I ride Yeti, Fuji, Felt, and Bianchi. Mountain, Gravel, and Road.

7. WB7DKZ

Glad to see your interest! It is a Cannondale Pro. They only made them for one year. They pulled the "most perfect frames" (there is advertising for you) off the line and sold only the bare frame. I was living in Bend Oregon at the time and found it in the corner of the bike shop. They built it up for me with 105 components and Wobler (now our of business) wheels. I have since replaced the wheel set and have replaced the bike with a LeMond. Still ride about 4,000 miles a season. Great fun and I will never see the cardiologist!

W7UUU likes this.
  8. KI7PMQ

KI7PMQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great presentation. Absolutely we do still send out QSL cards. Our ham set up is on the opposite side of our studio of a Internet radio station, Rock-it Radio so the picture of our QSL is a cartoon designed by my xyl depicting the station. Which is viewable on our QRZ page. Hope the QSL tradition continues as its a great tradition and fun asset of amateur radio. 73 De KI7PMQ

9. K1SCE

K1SCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent, I ONLY qsl via paper card. Have cards from MIR space station and ISS. Good Job.

10. KC5NGX

KC5NGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased my 2nd batch (250) of QSL cards from W4MPY years ago. Price was right, and I like the artwork. May get a full color QSL card next go around.

73 de KC5NGX

11. W7DCM

W7DCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two styles of cards.

My "prime" design can be found by visiting my page here. It's some artwork created by my stepdaughter. I told her I wanted it to represent Arizona.....it had to have a saguaro, a prickly pear, and a coyote howling at the moon. I send these out for most of my contacts.

I also have a secondary design, a cream-colored card from Cheap QSLs, one of the old timer styles. These go out to contest/club stations who really don't collect QSLs or who are interested in them, but will QSL upon request.

QSLing is I think, one of the most fun parts of the hobby. Each card I get is a little treasure, no matter how generic or how elaborate it is. It means I used a radio wave to talk to somebody. The idea of doing that fascinated me back in high school and it still fascinates me today.

W6SAE likes this.
  12. CX3BZ

CX3BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I also collect some historical radio memorabilia. Here 's my QRA ancestor. Since I am CX3BZ, it was fun to find a 3BZ card in a flea market from a ham in 1929, also from my country. 3bzgatonegro.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    KI7PMQ, KD8ZM and W7DCM like this.
  13. CX3BZ

CX3BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My QSL for a one year QRPp operation with a 300mW xtal controlled Pixie was designed for me but nicely enhanced by my son, who's a graphic designer CX3BZ.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    KI7PMQ, KF4ZKU, W0AAA and 1 other person like this.
  14. W2WCM

W2WCM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. I do have a printed QSL card. My wife designed it for me. I send cards a lot, even though i am relatively new to ham radio.

Looks like this:

Attached Files:

W7DCM likes this.
  15. WA0BJY

WA0BJY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great presentation I still send paper QSL Cards and mine is the USA Flag and bald eagle with the State of Tennessee Seal on it with all contact info n reverse side. 73"s from WAOBJY qsl 1.jpg

KF4ZKU, W7DCM and (deleted member) like this.