ad: CQMM-1

Hot wash AAR for the AR Windsor CT swap meet Dec 2

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by W5INC, Dec 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Did any Zedders make it over to Windsor yesterday to see the CT Radio museum's communication swap meet? Did anyone make it over to the ARRL HQ that was open for business on Saturday, for Tech licensed AR OPs to come and partake of the 10M contest?

N3AWS likes this.
  2. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

While there was no head count (free admission), there appeared to be a couple of hundred attendees; not bad for an indoor swap meet in December. The highlight for me was to see an ART-13 and a BC-348-Q for sale. Granted, most of what was traded/sold was vintage, but that's what the crowd was there for. I was happy to see people younger than me there, proudly walking out with their new "antique" radio, phonograph, hi-fi; etc. The ham club was very busy showing W1VCM.

The best part for all attendees: free admission to the museum on swap meets days.

N3AWS likes this.
  3. W5INC

Excellent work, as the last AR swap meet I attended in the Houston metro area didn't have those attendance numbers. The educational/experience torch is usually passed onto the younger generations and great to see that is happening up yonder in Windsor. Some great 4.9 star Google reviews speaks volumes about the group's efforts.

First of all, I didn’t realize the Vintage Radio & Communications Museum existed until my HS buddy who now lives in Arizona called me up and invited me to go with him. I hesitated about going because I didn’t think I would be interested and boy was I wrong. When you first go in you are immediately struck by the thousands of electronic artifacts crammed from ceiling to floor and in every corner. The bonus was our museum guide Art, who shared a lifetime of knowledge and insight about every facet of radio and communication technology with our tour group. Want to see the first color television, radio built inside a fridge or Tesla’s invention? How about the first computers or modern stereos and Walkmans? Then do yourself a favor and go with the kids and maybe you’ll learn a thing or two that will blow your mind. Plus, some of the electronics are hands on.

Wow! What a great place!
    We saw the sign on the Interstate and called in as it opened. John was a great tour guide and we could have spent a lot longer than the 90 minutes we had.
    Don’t pass this place by, it’s so interesting for everyone. And so much if the equipment has been restored to working order by the volunteers.
    Thanks!

This place is seriously awesome. One of the best museums I have ever visited. The tour was outstanding and the fact that almost everything works and is hands on for visitors to try instead of behind a rope makes this museum so fascinating. We spent 3-4 hours here, it was amazing

N3AWS likes this.
  4. N3AWS

N3AWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I’m misinterpreting this, but isn’t the ARRL 10 meter test on December 9/10?

5. W5INC

Can a person who is downsizing their AR herd, ship the CTRM over some donation pieces? It looks like the CTRM group does sell communication pieces thru CTRM's abreast of science, fundraising Ebay selling platform already. Which pieces work the best in this area? Are there any museum display pieces needed, that could possibly help to keep improving on the group's well crafted visitor experience now in place here in 2023?

6. WB1GCM

Many Radio Amateurs and family members of SKs, have already been very generous with their donations of equipment, antique to almost new. The VRCMCT now has a space issue. For example, they cannot accept large wooden console radio and televisions, unless exceptional. May I please direct to www.vrcmct.org ? There is a process for donations & thank you. What works in your area, is what works in ours, when kind volunteers who enjoy history, come together.

The museum was just recently praised by Yelp, for its outstanding review rating by tourists visiting Connecticut.

May Hiram smile. His spirit is in action.

Bob

W5INC likes this.
  7. WB1GCM

Yes, the 10 meter contest is still to come. 160 CW ARRL was this weekend. Missed it this year, so, no CW coming out of my toaster this morning!

N3AWS likes this.
  8. N3AWS

N3AWS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad to hear it! I applaud the idea of club stations getting their tech licensees on HF—especially with 10 & 15 so hot right now. This includes the ARRL Roundups.

W5INC likes this.