ad: CQMM-1

HF APRS & HF Winlink come to ANDROID devices

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Sep 29, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking at the Catrike Expedition. Nice recumbent trike, maybe mounting an antenna above the rear tire.

2. WD5BJR

WD5BJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job. Very descriptive, and articulate speaker!!!

3. KF4VAR

KF4VAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Great vid Julian thanks very much. I still am searching for a SOTA radio for here in Ecuador...... I saw one of your earlier videos about the Lab599 on an expedition you undertook and had a problem with broken wires. The Lab599 puts me off because of the wiring and connectors and separate devices that have to be carried. I also am looking at the IC 705. I know comparing these two radios is comparing apples to oranges to an extent due to the water proof more rugged 599 case but....do the number of devices and wiring to an extent mitigate the Lab599 advantage of being more rugged? Can the same thing you are accomplishing here with the Lab 599 and TNC and android device be accomplished with the IC 705 and software? One less device and less wiring. Just a thought. Would be interested to hear comments.....

4. KI6BTY

KI6BTY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Julian, long time fan of your videos. Can you please clarify what you mean by the (tr)uSDX not supporting digital modes? I have used it successfully with FT8 and JS8 and (if memory serves) I got it to work with Winlink via Vara HF. All of this via a digirig with digirig developed cables. The latest beta firmware does support audio over USB, but it is in an "alpha" state at best and needs one of the thicker USB cables as well as some driver magic to make it happen. I tried this for a week and had some success getting it to work, but eventually went with the DigiRig for simplicity... and then adopted the digirig as my new standard and bought cables for my HTs and my 891, instead of going the Mobilinkd route (for VaraFM) and instead of using the USB soundcard method for the 891.

W7ASA likes this.