ad: M2Ant-1

Hawaii No Power Contest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Jul 2, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The government has no money all of it comes from the taxpayers including those industries that pay taxes, direct and indirect as well as other fees. In effect, these industries pay twice for their investment in energy technology once from their own coffers and again from the money government appropriates from them. This is the stupidity in telling industry "you didn't build that" when referring to infrastructure. Of course, they contributed to the infrastructure not just their contribution but that of their employees who also pay fees and taxes.

2. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am confused, modes and mode points are different?

"Approved Contact Modes:

UHF
    VHF
    CW
    APRS
    SSTV
    HF
    Repeaters
    Simplex"

only two are actually 'modes', CW and SSTV.

Also the 'Mode Points'points don't match the listed modes:

'MODE Points

UHFRepeater 1
    VHF Repeater 1
    Simplex –UHF or VHF 2
    CW 3
    APRS 4
    SSTV 5
    WINLINK 6
    HF 7
    Satellite 8'

Field day score calculation was hard enough, glad I am not a score reporter for this event, but I DO agree with the idea in one comment about FD scoring. FT8 or any mode unable to pass meaningful emergency communications should not be scored. Also everything should be non-commercial power: lights, rigs, all computers...even logging computer, fans, A/C, rotors, etc. to be a non-commercial power station.

Please don't mind my FD rantings, ARRL says no solar bonus because we were 'C' class on a boat....why not?

3. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a reasonably good summation of how taxes and government investment works. We all pay for it; and in the case of something as sweeping as energy, we all benefit from it in our daily lives. Plus, energy is a national security issue.

K3XR likes this.
  4. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like the idea. Not a contest person myself but the integration of an emergency communication drill into a contest works and people will do it for their own reason. You have to lead a horse to water sometimes...

And as far as the rules, it sounds like this is an inaugural event. The rules will have ebb and flow for an event or two. Who cares. Operators will find their own reason to do or not do.

5. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

what a gorgeous logo(?)!
    is a patch available?

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever hear of "Field Day" or "SET"?

K3XR likes this.
  7. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, but I am not sure to what you are referring. If it is the W4CAE logo on my page, sorry not patches available. If it is the KC2RC logo on my page, go to kingscountyradioclub.com to order a patch.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  8. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are contests or something, right?

9. N3HGB

N3HGB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seeing as how in a real emergency you want to get traffic back here to the mainland, I would have a scoring system for contacts back to the mainland - IMHO.

10. KA4CDN

KA4CDN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That linked site is amazing! Thanks for sharing that.

11. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

How so?

12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the rest of the post.

WN1MB likes this.
  13. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally agree. I hope that it will not be limited to Hawaiians only as it sounds like a great idea.

W2CSI likes this.
  14. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

I did. It sounds vaguely off topic. Again, How So?

15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice little weekend project. Wonder how many poly vinyls and chlorides gave their lives to make the piping?