ad: Radclub22-1

Ham's that use drones will have to get a certificate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4LGM, Jul 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was at Rocket Launch in Middletown New York. They had high power rocket launches that required FAA clearance. They would call in to get clearance,.

2. KN4LGM

KN4LGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the commercial certificate not recreational certificate. You need a commercial certificate if you are going to be payed, if you are not getting payed you need the recreational certificate.

K3XR likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure we can all expect these "rules" to change after the first big drone goes through an airliners engine on take off or final approach at a major airport!

The backlash won't be pretty.......

5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FCC regulations are constantly changing. Your comment is really not illuminating.

6. W4XA

W4XA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wasn't referring to FCC regulations either since drones are not really covered by them (other than maybe FCC Part 15) .
    Many users will choose not to get the license at all and just fly them anyway.
    I

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is not news. That's basically the definition of a rumor/gossip. Who told you? What/Where is the documentation supporting this? Just throwing out unsubstantiated claims is fake news.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What I want to know is, will hams who drone on need a license?

W0PV and KV6O like this.
  9. KN4LGM

I heard this at the TSA conference in ATL GA. The documentation supporting this can be found at https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/
    "The new law also requires:

1. Drone operators to pass an online aeronautical knowledge and safety test and carry proof of test passage.
    2. The FAA to issue guidance for how it will recognize community-based organizations."
    I found this 20 minutes ago after about 3 hours of research.

KV6O likes this.
  10. KN4LGM

11. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

See page 1 ;)

12. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

" [ Ham's that use drones ] will have to get a certificate "

I think this is the problem , ham's that use drones , misstated is my guess , I'l bet a beer there is no " ham's that use drones " in any part of any of this .

Oh the text is because I copy & pasted the title ;)

13. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

KA0HCP likes this.
  14. KN4LGM

Well, even though you are right that the title should have "People that use drones in the US will have to get a certificate": I am 9 years underage so I don't think you even want to make that bet:). But since this website based on ham's I thought it would be understood, and please no coma abuse:).

15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's hams, not ham's.

Not sure how I would abuse a coma.

KN4LGM likes this.