ad: K3LRContest-1

Hams in the News: Winter Field Day

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD8DEY, Jan 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2HLM

WB2HLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Operated briefly outdoors then moved inside to get out of the blustery snow and 10 deg.weather. Great event, setting up temporary antennas and operating 5 W CW QRP. Did work 59 contacts and had fun. fullsizeoutput_27c1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_27c1.jpeg IMG_0809.JPG

N8DAH, K0VWA and W0PV like this.
  2. K0VWA

K0VWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you all who participated! We had great fun at this year's winter field day - operated under the club callsign of NX0G. We had a digital station (ICOM 706 MKII - I think) on 40M running PSK31 and phone station (Yaesu FT-857d) on 20M. The digital station was using a homemade 40M delta loop on 23' painter poles and the phone station used an Alpha-Delta DX-CC sloped between two trees. KN0MAP operated the digital station and I (K0VWA) operated the phone station.

We were quite warm for this time of year at our location - 9,400' in the Colorado Rockies. Mid 20's to low 30's (F). Two propane heaters kept the "inside" up to 15F warmer than the "outside" of our 3 sided EZ-UP shelter. Wind picked up later in the day Saturday - it was no longer 15F warmer than outside. My batteries were further away from the heaters than KN0MAP's batteries and suffered from the cold. Need to keep them warmer next year.

Big thanks to everyone who worked us. We had a blast. Learned some things. We're working on our plan to improve for next year as well as having more frequent local outings to test our progress.

Here's a little video. It's mostly about how much fun we had and pretty light on technical info so sorry about that. Our stations were really simple but I'll be happy to answer any questions. Can't wait for next year!

3. KG5KPU

KG5KPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Try LMR240 ultraflex...it is only slightly less efficient than LMR400 and a WHOLE BUNCH lighter and easier to work with...it is what i use for my camping/portable expeditions.

David
    KG5KPU

4. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

I used RG58U the other op used the big stuff. Mine was stiff, his was just unruly. Next year I am pretty sure we are going to op 2I hihi, we had a good time and learned a lot but we are both getting older and the 150+lb battery was a lot of work in 2-3ft of snow.

5. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hats Off too all that braved the element's I opted for the comfort of home too, but it got me thinking of a plan attack for an outdoor adventure next year.

6. KB2E

KB2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Operated from the top of Italy Hill in the Finger Lakes Region of NY as K2Z. We were 2I at a hunting cabin on generator and battery only. 390 contacts, had a great time even though it was -5 with the wind blowing 30 MPH on Saturday night. We found all the air leaks in the cabin. HI HI.

N8DAH and W0PV like this.
  7. N3RSJ

N3RSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good for them getting on the local news!