ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Hams & Harleys.

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by GW0PLP, Jan 24, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. GW0PLP

GW0PLP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hams who ride Harleys.

Hi name here is Don gw0plp in West Wales UK. I have been riding bikes most of my life. Brit Iron & Harleys. This time last year I bought a second hand 2005 Road King Classic (FLHRCI) which only had 4,500 miles on the clock. I rode around 2,500 in a few months of the summer and then started having a problem with the turn signals on the left hand side. It has turned out to be the TSSM Module Part No. 68924-00c which is now obsolete from Harley. Mine is Vertically mounted and the bike is fuel injected. The dealer says an alternative TSM module that by passes the alarm system will work on my bike. A Carb TSM won't work. I can't find one anywhere either new or second hand and they are having the same trouble locating one. My email address is gw0plp(at)gmail.com if anyone can help? I know this is not radio related but I'm guessing a few Ham Harely Riders might have some ideas? So any replies I guess it would be best to email me rather than tie up this site. I have already trawled YouTube and various Harley forums.

Regards, Don gw0plp

2. N3LHQ

N3LHQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My ride is a 2008 FXSTC soft tail. I go by Grandpa Roadkill, got T boned in 2004. Idiot was on phone and ran stop sign! Ride Safe!! Bill T P1010920.JPG

Never understood why HAMS post their bikes? My Vance & Hines make a 599 QSN & QSM!!

K8PG and W1LIM like this.
  3. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

These bikes are so old fashioned, but I suppose that's the appeal. How come they are made in Thailand, not the USA?

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too all bikes and ATVs
    My last Sturgis was 2018, was set to go with my son this year, but leukemia my stop me.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  5. N3LHQ

N3LHQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I made the Pilgrimage ride to York, PA where my bike was made. It was sold to me at Chadd Ford HD in Pennsylvania! Got the T shirt for free!!

6. GW0PLP

My last Harley was a 2002 Softail with a 1550 big bore kit and se-203 cams & a big Markuni Carb. Rode 106,000 miles on that bike all around Europe and the UK. Had it 22 years but all things go eventually. I have made a lot of Biker friends (all makes) or ride Harleys on the radio. Men & Women. My Road King, I'm having a lot of trouble locating a TSSSM or TSM Module for it, I was hoping some like minded brothers would give some advice as to where I might have a chance of locating one?

Don GW0PLP.

7. GW0PLP

UPDATE.

We might have found a TSM Module in Italy that will fit on Ebay. Fingers Croseed and will update as and when.

Don Gw0plp

W9EBE likes this.
  8. GW0PLP

UPDATE.

The TSM Module arrived from Italy but held up in customs with a heafty import duty tax. Good news the Module works A OK and the bike is back on the road with no issues. Looking forward to spring and getting some miles done. I will always be glad to hear from like minded bikers who are hams. On the hunt now for a good quality IP rated Handheld to keep on the bike and maybe a mini mag mount as well.

73' Don GW0PLP.

AG5CK and WG4USA like this.
  9. GW0PLP

Thanks to all the like minded Bikers out there that contacted me by personal email. Some great advice and tips and all have been noted. I have been into bikes all my life and used to enjoy getting out off road on the dirt with a bike. I still follow a lot of bike stuff on the internet and love watching flat track racing, speedway, enduro etc. Below is a good link for results if anyone has the same interests. https://mxgpresults.com/

73' D

K0UO likes this.
  10. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2002 FLHR (carb) I bought new. Now has more than 80,000 miles, never needed anything except gas, oil, and good maintenance. Been from Maine to Key West, thru the Smokey Mtns several times, the Great Lakes region. Yeah, I ride. At the same time I owned a Triumph Sprint ST (955) too. Now, at 70 years old, I find the Road King a bit unwieldy .... not on the road, it practically drives itself ... but pushing in an out of the garage and in and out of parking spots. And If I ever drop it (not crash it) I'd better hope some good Samaritan comes along to help me put her back on her feet.

So I'm looking now for a late model used Triumph twin. T100 is a likely candidate. My days of 500-mile-a-day road trips are over!

GW0PLP, K3EY and K0UO like this.
  11. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I ride a Yamaha V-Star 650. I might possibly upgrade to something a little bigger this coming year.

GW0PLP likes this.
  12. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a Triumph Tiger

Amazing what age does, I understand your sentiments.

I watched my brother riding bikes at 70MPH on one wheel, he was good. Then he killed himself driving a Dodge Challenger road racing, leaving behind a two year old son and pregnant wife. Sold my bike and never rode since.

13. GW0PLP

if it makes you smile do it again.

14. GW0PLP

Some highlights from Spain 2024..... https://mxgpresults.com/videos/f704b1eb

15. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hit a deer 10/13/12 going 45-50 mph, killed the deer, broke my foot and
    cracked my helmet. Engine guards saved my legs.
    I laid in the road, three cars just drove by and pointed at me. Crazy !!

2000 Fatboy (wife's)
    I rode her bike that day, not my Roadking (01)

GW0PLP likes this.