ad: Halibut-1

HamRadioNow: All SDR, All the Time (and another On The Road)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Feb 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

HRN 301 SDR POSTER 3-shot NO TITLE 250.jpg
    We took the show on the road to the 2017 Orlando HamCation, and enjoyed three days of sunshine and 80 degree weather! I understand that it wasn't quite so pleasant across much of the USA.

I spent much of the time helping Jason Johnston KC5HWB record forums and a few interviews for his Ham Radio 2.0 YouTube/Podcast. We recorded a really fun talkfest with HRO's Katie (Allen WY7YL, but I'm promoting the idea that she's now a one-name celeb). That show will be released on both our shows in a few days.

On Sunday, I buckled down in the SIB (Studio In a Booth) to record some interviews. Here's the first:

HamRadioNow Episode 301: All SDR, All the Time
    Sometime in the near-ish future, all radios will be SDR (software defined). SDR will cease to be a feature, and it will just be a given.

When will that be, and what will happen then?

Gary talks about that with FlexRadio's Tim Ellison W4TME, and Flex 'booth volunteer' and enthusiast Don Baughman K7MX.

How will manufacturers differentiate themselves, and what will they be throwing at consumers in the way of data and capabilities?

Yes, these guys are from Flex, so they've got a point of view, but they're pretty candid about this segment of the business... that's about to take over the whole business.

On the drive down (and in the driveway before I left), I recorded the celebratory HamRadioNow Episode 300. Perhaps I overdid it a bit, as I needed two 'parts' to complete the show. Part ONE is the much-requested tour of the Q-mobile, my 7-Radio, 8-Antenna rolling porcupine. Part TWO is the real on-the-road show. And then I ran into a guy in the hotel parking lot who's vehicle looked like mine on steroids (and a much more professional installation). So I swallowed my pride and recorded it for Part THREE. I'll stick Part ONE (the Q-Mobile) here. If you're so inclined, catch Parts TWO and THREE on the HamRadioNow web site.

Listen Hear!
    Some of the shows are very visual, but some (like the All SDR show) are mostly the talking-head type. The talkers make great Radio shows, and all shows, visual or not, are available as audio podcasts. We're now even on IHeartRadio, which means we've hit the big time... I think.

Finally, I've created a subReddit called HamCasters for all Ham Radio media - audio, video, blogs... to post show announcements, and viewers/listeners/readers to post comments, reviews, suggestions, reactions, etc. Maybe you'll let your favorite 'caster know about it.

73, Gary KN4AQ

YO4FKO and IX1FIT like this.