ad: Radclub22-1

Ham Radio Reveals ‘Senior Slip’ in Innovation Research

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Apr 19, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My guess is ...You like fractal design ground planes too.
    Thanks for sharing .

2. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,yes, it's bent with specific lengths, but a vertical, with two 90 deg bends, correct?

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and the lengths are not arbitrary. Its a 50 ohm antenna for the band you choose to 'cut' it for. You can do pretty well with it on other bands, if you use a tuner.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not 'like'....Actually I am sick of fractals:) Been almost 30 years....I view them as a very useful tool.

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

These are three lightning strikes on golf greens. Golf greens have very uniform laying-in of sand, soil, moisture and grass, so as a result, the lightning (RF) charge, if it hits, ends up dissipating in a uniform way (not one or lop sided). The lightning does not form burnt sheets. It forms fractals. Its the optimum way of dissipating the RF charge.

It sure didn't make a RADIAL , straight pattern! And it could have, if that best dissipated the charge...

In antennas, GP's are employed to DISSIPATE charge...

Why we use straight radials....who the heck knows?

It may have been EASY but was not well thought out---for almost 100 years.

Man, I feel REALLY old....

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  6. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally a reply that caught my interest. Thank you!

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Which one--the feeling old;-)?

(I do try to have a sense of humor...)

8. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I'm very much your junior. So I'll let your superior judgement guess which other post. ;)

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Heheh!

But its sure is fun to figure out science from a golf course!

People struck directly by lightning get these fractal tattoos also....those pictures I won't show, but they are on the net.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  10. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

Hole in one!

11. G4HYG

G4HYG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm probably pushing it a bit but what does the second iteration look like? I'm assuming that each straight section of the first iteration is either another dogleg or a Cohen dipole?

One point I didn't mention about my lashup FracVert is how quiet the antenna is. The noise level on 20m is reduced by 2-3 S points over the dipole allowing a higher signal to noise ratio on nearly all signals.

Regards,

Chris, G4HYG

12. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I wanted to build the FracVert, what 'constant' would I use to calculate the length of the sections? The old chestnut of '468' to get the half wavelength? or '492' for free space? or what? (yes, I know none of the sections are a half wavelength, but I can use that to extrapolate or interpolate the different sections)

Then, say the antenna is built and I find it's a bit off frequency... I presume that you would have to appropriately adjust each of the three 'legs' to trim it to frequency? Or can you get away with only trimming one of the legs?

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Different high angle nulls. The FRACVERT HALFWAVE has better low angle and far reduced gain at high angles in comparison. You must have quite a bit if higher angle noise at that QTH...

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You can tweak and prune by messing with the top section length and leave the others the same.

Assume free space speed of light... then you can prune shorter if needed.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Put a small three sided, smaller box imposed on each straight line...

I am saving that as fodder for any article, if the interest is there.

Frankly, if you want to write up something together for Radcon (RSGB) that would take a time issue off my back. Also resolve the ARRL stonewall.

K7FLE and WD3N like this.