ad: M2Ant-1

"Ham Radio for Dummies" - Released!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N0AX, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

I am more and more convinced that there are people in the Hobby who take the "Club" aspect of it so seriously that they're rather make Amateur Radio their own, private, exclusive we'll-let-you-in-if-we-think-you're-worthy-no-matter-how-smart-you-are private club. It's the only way that I can think of that explains some of the comments about this book.

The whole series is called ".. for Dummies", people!!!!

For the benefit of the clueless: the idea behind the "... for Dummies" series (as explained to me by the publisher) is that a topic is chosen by the publisher, they go out and find one or more experts in the subject, and write the book in such a way that someone who has never heard of the subject can understand it.

Yes, the books are very "watered down"... on some subjects I actually know about, the books feel downright stupid. So there are going to be a lot of fellow Hams out there who are going to feel insulted that this book exists... .. well guess what... if you already know Ham Radio, YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED TARGET FOR THIS BOOK or ANY of the books in this series!!!!

And don't criticize the books until you read it... in fact, go to the publisher's website at http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/productCd-0764559877.html and read the 10-page Excerpt of Chapter 1 (caution: it's in Adobe Acrobat)... THEN you can come back and criticize the book all you want.

Then again, when I think about it... you'll criticize the book, as well as anyone who doesn't become an Amateur Radio Operator exactly the way you did and operates the exact same way you do with the exact same equipment you have and in the exact same bands/modes you do. People like you are the ones who can doom this Hobby.

2. K0IZ

K0IZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad QRZ provides this forum so that those with thoroughly negative views on everything will spend their time typing, and thus less time on the air.

3. WB2AMU

WB2AMU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that this book might be able to help catch the attention of non-hams in a positive way and encourage them to get into the hobby.

To KL7FZ, you seem to have a lot of negative things to say.  I want to say that I and many others are still waiting for your QSL for Six Meter contacts that we made with you in the Fall of 2001.  We did take the time to include an SASE and it would be nice if you would respond one way or another.  You made many contacts on Six Meters but have not honored QSL requests. Surely you must have known that a KL7 QSL on Six Meters is in demand on Six Meters when you made rapid fire contacts.   It would be nice if you would practice being a good citizen for the hobby.  As they say, "People in glass houses should not throw stones!"

KEN WB2AMU

4. KB5YUE

KB5YUE Ham Member QRZ Page

DOH! ....'bout time the "Dummies" book came out!

5. N4WSP

N4WSP Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KL7FZ @ April 13 2004,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N4WSP @ April 13 2004,17[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KL7FZ @ April 13 2004,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not long ago, some of the locals here discussed doing that very same publication.
    Good job, and it's is great to see someone took the initiative to get it done.

Now... about the sequel.
    "Ham Radio for Bubbas"

But all this does beg the question..."Do we really need more Dummies in Amateur Radio?"

I thought that was the purpose of the new licensing proposals.  

I hope it has real large easy to read print, 3rd grade reading level language, colorful illustrations with little animals, and neat popups between the pages.

And all this time I thought Amateurs Handbook was ham radio for dummies. Silly me.  

Whoops! I forgot about "Now You're Talking". Wasn't that for dummies also?

Anyhow, I am glad some one is going to make something off the idea. Get the profit now, reinvest, and then you can go on to something that will have some technical merit after Amateur Radio has degenerated into dummydom.

Maybe that should be the name for the new entry level license class "Dummy".

Watch for my new publication "Tying Shoelaces for Dummies"   <!--emo&[​IMG]

KL7FZ[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What we need in ham radio is not so many smart a#%*+  [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    OK. I am a smart a#%*+! I admit it. I know it and I do not take any offense at all. I practice being one!

But to be serious, amateur radio, is a TECHNICAL based hobby/service. It never has been, or should be, for DUMMIES! And any person who desires to learn about ham radio or become a ham needs to be smart enough get the necessary guidance from the HUNDREDS of publications and other sources of info that have been around for 100 years. Or now use the internet. They should show some initiative and go out and find out what they need to know. That info has been out there for them any time they really wanted to get it.  Holy Smokes! Should we have to hold their hands and walk/carry them through the whole process and literally do it for them? Ham radio has been around a long time . And thrived a good portion of that time without a book for dummies. How come we need one now? Have the people gotten dummer? Or are we just looking to recuit people who just aren't as smart as those in the past? With all the new innovations and information shouldn't they be smarter and not need help for dummies?
    I am serious about that!

Now, on the other side...Ernest's New Movie:
     Ernest Gets a Ham License! Ya Know What I mean Vern? (Darn! Old Jim Varney is dead. Would've been a great movie)

Serious sometime  
     KL7FZ    smart a#%*+ First Class[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ok i get your point.

Steve [​IMG]

6. W5NL

W5NL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be willing to wager a bet that cat is his only good friend.
    Stop your whining! It's unbecoming of a ham......Or is it?

7. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

We used to have a Beginner's book - the License manual.

But clearly one for Dummies is sorely needed in the modern ham radio!

My new title is "CB to Ham In Zero Easy Steps."

OK, the book is a good idea, and I am not being at all facetious when I say it is sorely, badly, critically, desperately needed in the new ham radio. Should sell about 360,000 copies almost immediately.

Ed

8. K6IRP

K6IRP Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W5HTW @ April 14 2004,13:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We used to have a Beginner's book - the License manual.  

But clearly one for Dummies is sorely needed in the modern ham radio!  

My new title is "CB to Ham In Zero Easy Steps."  

OK, the book is a good idea, and I am not being at all facetious when I say it is sorely, badly, critically, desperately needed in the new ham radio.  Should sell about 360,000 copies almost immediately.

Ed[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I fully agree with the above post-----and....the arrl sold us all out-----KE6IRP

9. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KD7ZNL @ April 14 2004,06:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am more and more convinced that there are people in the Hobby who take the "Club" aspect of it so seriously that they're rather make Amateur Radio their own, private, exclusive we'll-let-you-in-if-we-think-you're-worthy-no-matter-how-smart-you-are private club. It's the only way that I can think of that explains some of the comments about this book.

The whole series is called ".. for Dummies", people!!!!

For the benefit of the clueless: the idea behind the "... for Dummies" series (as explained to me by the publisher) is that a topic is chosen by the publisher, they go out and find one or more experts in the subject, and write the book in such a way that someone who has never heard of the subject can understand it.

Yes, the books are very "watered down"... on some subjects I actually know about, the books feel downright stupid. So there are going to be a lot of fellow Hams out there who are going to feel insulted that this book exists... .. well guess what... if you already know Ham Radio, YOU ARE NOT THE INTENDED TARGET FOR THIS BOOK or ANY of the books in this series!!!!

And don't criticize the books until you read it... in fact, go to the publisher's website at http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/productCd-0764559877.html and read the 10-page Excerpt of Chapter 1 (caution: it's in Adobe Acrobat)... THEN you can come back and criticize the book all you want.

Then again, when I think about it... you'll criticize the book, as well as anyone who doesn't become an Amateur Radio Operator exactly the way you did and operates the exact same way you do with the exact same equipment you have and in the exact same bands/modes you do.  People like you are the ones who can doom this Hobby.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree about the Dummies series of books. They do intend to be watered down, and the comical writing style of some of them doesn't appeal to me. Like you said, they aren't targeted at those who are already know about the particular topic, they are targeted at those who are interested in learning and don't know where to start.

I also agree with the first and last paragraphs of your post. This private club attitude needs to go away. It's not only present in ham radio, but way too many other areas of our society.

Just putting in my $.02.

10. N7VQM

N7VQM Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KL7FZ @ April 13 2004,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But to be serious, amateur radio, is a TECHNICAL based hobby/service. It never has been, or should be, for DUMMIES![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What's your point?  I'm a Moron* and I've got a license and a BSEET ("upgrading" soon to BSEE).  Just because you can't remember where you put your keys doesn't mean you can't be a good operator.

*The first and last IQ test I took was when I was 8.

11. K4JSR

K4JSR Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N7VQM @ April 14 2004,19:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Just because you can't remember where you put your keys doesn't mean you can't be a good operator.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, but it means you will have a tough time operating
    mobile! [​IMG]

73 Cal K4JSR

12. KL7FZ/SK2022

KL7FZ/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (N7VQM @ April 14 2004,19:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KL7FZ @ April 13 2004,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But to be serious, amateur radio, is a TECHNICAL based hobby/service. It never has been, or should be, for DUMMIES![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What's your point?  I'm a Moron* and I've got a license and a BSEET ("upgrading" soon to BSEE).  Just because you can't remember where you put your keys doesn't mean you can't be a good operator.

*The first and last IQ test I took was when I was 8.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Absolutely. I agree completely.

Oh.....Sorry. I meant I agree about the missing keys. [​IMG]

Some of the dumbest people I know are great ham operators.

Unfortunately, they don't know anything about electronics or radio.
      If the radio ceases to function while they are talking, they just sit there staring at it until someone comes along and fixes it or leads them away.

But they are very nice happy people.

Oh, have you looked under the cushions in the sofa?

Over......

KL7FZ

13. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

"Ham radio for dummies"

May be a good book, but the title is a sad choice.
    With the ARRL advocating the "dumming down" of ham radio and advocating that testing standards be dropped, I see the potental end of ham radio as a technical hobby. Soon, if the ARRL has its way, you will get "your license for nothing and your ticket for free".

The only thing seperating us from CB are the testing requirements. The more ham radio is "dummed down", the more we will be like CB. Sad state of affairs.

W9WHE
    Proudly supporting the ARRL boycott

14. K3ESE

K3ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

What's kind of amazing is the number of respondants to this thread who look only at the cute, marketing name of this very popular and successful series of "...for Dummies" books, and instantly take extreme, uninformed umbrage at what they infer to be aspersions on the hobby. These books are nothing more or less than clearly written, user-friendly guides to beginners at anything. Nothing "dumb" about them at all. This is not true, though, of those who go off half-cocked at something about which they know practically nothing, to wit: the content and intended audience of this fine effort. To them I say, "What helpful elmer books have YOU published lately?"

15. W0DZ

W0DZ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KL7FZ @ April 13 2004,14:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Watch for my new publication "Tying Shoelaces for Dummies"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    When can I get a copy of this? I have never really learned the proper way to tie my shoelaces. Seriously! I have watched other people do it, and I don't seem to do it the same way. So I think my parents taught me the wrong way to do it.

And on topic...Ward, good luck with the book. I do wonder what it will take to get true hams back into the hobby - people who want to do public service or learn radio and electronics or have fun communicating with people around the world, as opposed to people who were looking for a cheap alternative to cell phones. Hope your book will serve to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.