ad: AbAuRe-1

Ham Radio Dream Life in Vietnam: KU1CW aka 3W9A

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Apr 28, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_099_3W9A_Thumbnail02.jpg
    Alex Tkatch KU1CW has a remarkable ham radio story that begins as a teenager in Belarus, continues with immigration to the United States, and then takes him around the world. He's closing in on operating from 100 DXCC countries, has 5BDXCC from two continents and has been a perennial top finisher in contests as well as an operator in three World Radiosport Team Championships (WRTC). I caught up with Alex in Ham Tien Vietnam where he competed in the CQ WPX SSB contest with a station he practically built from the ground up. The heat was rising, and his internet connection questionable, so this wasn't a long conversation but there was a lot packed into 20 minutes. I hope you'll be able to join us. Subscribe if you like what you see and look for more in the future. 73, Kevin W1DED

9A5ZB, KG4BFR, MI0GTA and 10 others like this.
  2. W8ASA

W8ASA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tuyệt vời from W8ASA.

WF3T, KG4BFR and W1DED like this.
  3. W7KPL

W7KPL Ham Member QRZ Page

fantastic

Jerry page

w7kpl

KG4BFR and W1DED like this.
  4. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

NEVER----

KO2Q and AK5B like this.
  5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Fantastic effort and fantastic video. Vietnam is a tough path from my QTH. Operating from VN is even more challenging. As a fellow traveler, none of this is easy. Never mind travel... the licensing, the equipment procurement, and the government understanding of ham radio is a huge uphill battle. We can all learn a lot from Alex's adventures.

I hope I can get over there to operate some time soon.

" same ideas, same experience...one big family of radio"... you said it so well. My respect !

Thank you for activating 3W/XV, Alex! Need you on CW on several bands!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
  6. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ran into Alex at our local Post Office one day here in Vancouver (WA), at that time I had no idea how famous he is.

Bernd - KB7AK

7. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Ты Шелм :)

W1DED likes this.
  8. 9A5O

9A5O Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked Alex from 3W9, USA, EA, EW, P40, 4L, BW, I2 etc... just to name a few. Always a great signal and a great operator. Thanks for operating from 100+ DXCC countries for all of us, poor schmucks, who either cannot pull it through, or just plainly cannot afford it (but we try).
    Kudos!

WB3CFN, W9FL and W1DED like this.
  9. K4GAZ

K4GAZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not consider vietnam a country that anybody should visit. Remember our more than 50,000 dead American soldiers.

KF5UMC, K4FWJ, K1SHE and 6 others like this.
  10. KM4RJF

KM4RJF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would love to know the red tape he had to go through to be able to operate there. I looked into it a couple years back when a friend wanted me to accompany him on a reunion trip over there. In the video, it seems like Alex took ancilliary equipment with him but no radio. Seems like he procured those locally.

Interesting conversation.

KC5MO and W1DED like this.
  11. K4DV

K4DV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked Alex on FT8 a few days ago there in Vietnam. Thanks for the contact Alex !! 73's

W1DED likes this.
  12. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

Two wars with the UK. Two wars with Germany. Wars/armed conflicts/incursions with/into Spain, Mexico, Japan, Italy, Afghanistan, Iraq, Lebanon, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Libya, Cambodia. Laos, China, North Korea, Grenada, Canada, Panama, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Russia, Chile, Kuwait, Syria, et.al.

At what point does conflict end?

KM4OXF, K0YQ, WB3CFN and 6 others like this.
  13. EX7MK

EX7MK Ham Member QRZ Page

КТО ЗВАЛ ВАС ВОЕВАТЬ ВО ВЬЕТНАМЕ ?

14. K8BBE

K8BBE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used a KWM 2 and a 30L1 into a three curtann rhombic back in 1966 to 1969. Stationed there in US Army stratcom. Lots of DX stations worked

W1DED likes this.
  15. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for being here in Germany in former times. But not every state where a conflict appears, can say this too.