ad: AbAuRe-1

Ham Radio Deluxe v5.20 Release Announcement

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6R, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4X

KN4X Ham Member QRZ Page

The original XP version wasn't for me. I definitely will not be spending a dime on this version. Best of luck with your venture.

2. N5VEI

N5VEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed it and there is an issue with one of the bridges for DXLab Suite. Once the bridge opens, HRD shutsdown. I can give more on that later after I see if it works without it. BUT... When I installed, I lost my macros. Are your old macros stored in a certain folder or are they gone?
    N5VEI

3. AB3FL

AB3FL Ham Member QRZ Page

Please let us know when 5.2 is fixed. I have a CURRENT laptop(Core-i5)/6GB RAM running Windows 7 x64. I am interested to see if it works better with LoTW

Tom - AB3FL

4. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

they arent gone.. they are in the simon brown Brown\HB9DRV folder... Call me if you need help and Ill get them for you

Tom, 5,21 is being tested again, and no go until all the beta and alpha sites say yes..

5. K8ZBQ

K8ZBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to ensure 50% of your beta testers are running old, junky, worn out obsolete computers that they paid $6.00 for at a Hamfest. Since most HAM's are too cheap to buy a decent computer, your releases will be more likely to run.

6. WB4LZT

WB4LZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a few comments here. I installed version 5.2 build 3274 on my old HP computer with XP SP3, 2.8Ghz single core CPU, and 1 gig RAM. I did get the msvcr100.dll error but installed the vcredist_x86.exe and everything ran fine. I did not lose my macros, logbook or any other settings and I have not seen any other problems. One user commented everything needs to be in one install package without having to install other support programs to make it work. I work in IT, not as a programmer, but as a systems admin and I can tell you it is not unusual even installing microsoft applications to be required to install other supporting software to make applications work.

I am not taking sides here, only making personal observations and like many of you I want to be able to test drive an application before I commit to purchasing a product. I will say so far version 5.2 looks and works well even on an old computer. I even noticed the frequency scale on the waterfall has a "smoother" looking font and I expect once the bugs are worked out it will be a much better applicaton since it is written in VS 2010. I haven't yet decided if I will purchase the upgrade but I will continue to evaluate the product and make a decision later.

W4PC said "Ive worked online since 1979 and sometimes my comments come across as harsh when they arent meant to". I've worked with programmers before and I know they can be a bit testy. Our main programmer was that way and always came across as very harsh but he was one of the best programmers in the business and always took his work, including negative comments, very personally and it made him angry when people would complain. But he would also listen and take steps to correct the problems and in the end would have the best program bar none. I would say to W4PC to try not to take the negative comments so seriously or personally even though people can be cruel in this day and time. Remember you are more than a developer/programmer now and a very big part of your job is to project a positive image of your product.

My advice to all the end-users is to settle down a little and give the new guys a chance to work out the bugs before you trash the product. After all, how many of us Windows users are really "beta testers" because the product was rushed to the market too soon and patches and fixes have to be installed to fix the bugs.

Thanks for the opportunity to voice my opinions.

7. W5LMM

W5LMM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL Youre kidding, right?

8. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got a brand new computer E-machines 500 GB HD dual core windows 7. So,not all hams have cheap computers.

9. KH6DC

KH6DC Ham Member QRZ Page

"Hmmm $60 for software is a bit much "

Here we go again

10. N5SDO

N5SDO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree on all points above and have spent time on the phone with W4PC and he is a super guy. I'm very pleased that he is involved with the future of HRD. Simon and his partners did all of us users a great service in concieving and building this fine free all-in-one program that I have used exclusively for over a year now. It has made it to the next level now and is experiencing some growing pains along the way. I am looking forward to the continued improvements and have had very few issues running it on my laptop, upgrading as updates become available and will probably opt to support this product by purchasing it soon. Thanks to all those who have done so much work on HRD. It is a great software suite. Keep up the good work.

Dave /N5SDO

11. N8DNG

N8DNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The installer didn't register the dll in the OS. Try to manually copy the msvcr100.dll file to the c:\windows\system32 folder.
    It is the installer error itself, not the application. Although you would think this would have been tested :( Maybe a software tester could be hired with the revenue from the purchase price. 73

12. N8DNG

N8DNG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The installer didn't register the dll in the OS. This is happening with a lot of installers recently. Try to manually copy the msvcr100.dll file to the c:\windows\system32 folder.
    It is the installer error itself, not the application. Although you would think this would have been tested Maybe a software tester could be hired with the revenue from the purchase price. 73

13. N2WSK

N2WSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't like wise guys in the amateur radio field and will have to give considerable thought before purchasing your product. I am not rich, but don't want it thrown down my throat.

14. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really do not understand how people like you figure you are having something forced down your throat. If you feel you can not afford the software then don't buy it. No one is forcing you to buy the version that will be sold.

Continue using the free versions but don't complain when you can no longer get updates for that version.

Personally I do not have a problem paying $60 for software that I will use almost every day of the year. 16 cents a day is all that software costs when you do the math. What can you buy for 16 cents a day?

But why do people continue to post and whine about the cost of the software? :rolleyes:

15. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do believe that you are correct.

Also the link provided is not the newest update and the newer update has that problem fixed.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26999

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.