ad: elecraft

Ham Radio Deluxe News: Santa’s Gift for You!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WY7YL, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not think it is old ladies, it is old farts, That are tight as*es.

2. DL3LK

DL3LK Guest

Sounds good : ... top of the line Amateur Radio software – Ham Radio Deluxe – for 10% off!

But if someone dont have paypal he cant buy it outside of the us!
    No change to get the software in germany at a big ham radio shop.
    But windows can be bought here on every corner.

73 de Volker, DL3LK

3. KK8ZZ

KK8ZZ Guest

If KF7PCL thinks he can buy an HF rig for $198, well, put me in line for one too. HRD is an absolute BARGAIN for all that it does, and the tech support from these guys is A-1 First Class from my experience. It amazes me still that guys who spend hundreds (thousands?) on their station and antennas get so cranky if they have to spend $99 for a product that allows them SO much liberty in nearly every ham radio endeavor that they would want. Bob KK8ZZ

4. KK8ZZ

KK8ZZ Guest

Hey KF7PCL... if there are better software packages available for free, go on and download them and use them instead and don't bitch about HRD here... goodness... if anyone's tried to code an advanced program like HRD, $99 is pretty darned cheap for all that it does.... plus the tech support.... Bob KK8ZZ

5. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I DID buy an HF rig for $200. Just check your local ham fests. Lots of good gear for good prices.
    HRD isn't a bargain. It doesn't do anything particularly spectacular. Tech support is nice but many users
    could go without it for a lesser price.

True that they did put a lot of effort into improving it but they did start with a good codebase which makes justifying $100 very difficult.

Not all hams spend thousands on their station. That is a fallacy.

It's worth $50 not $100. My opinion and I am sticking to it firmly

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  6. W3UC

W3UC Ham Member QRZ Page

If I was still doing paper logs id say no way to a $99 investment , but since going to all computer logs and getting comfortable with the free version Ive been tempted . I just havent found out yet what the updated version will do that my free version wont. I hear the word support but what eles does the new version offer ??:confused:

7. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Why not download the free trial version and see??

8. W3UC

W3UC Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought about it just wasnt sure how screwed up id make things if I decided it wasnt for me . Me with computers is sometimes like a 3 legged cat trying to bury a turd on a frozen pond . Maybe ill give it a crack on my laptop once the pc geting back from repair.

9. KS4TD

KS4TD Ham Member QRZ Page

If you re-read what W4PC said, it was WINDOWS that was having problems, not HRD. As a former software developer that did a good bit (no pun intended) of Windows development, I can tell you that Windows has a lot of problems that cannot be fixed by a lone programmer in their own software. If Windows is broken and that causes your program to malfunction, you can only do so much before you have to get help from Microsoft. Microsoft can take months, if not years, to address a problem that affects programs that run under the operating system. Don't be so quick to judge if you don't know the whole story . . . and I'm not taking anyone's side here, just explaining a logical fallacy.

10. N0RSN

N0RSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed it would be a bit of a problem. But at that point how do you charge those with the issues for support and updates that are broken? I think the initial cost is completely justified. HRD is great software. But the updates and support are outrageous.

11. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

We never charge for bug fixes... even if you don't renew. I dont know where that came from.

New features and phone and ticket support, yes, after the first year its $50 a year, if you dont want that , you can continue to use the program and each release will contain bug fixes.. but no new features.

12. M6BXG

M6BXG Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased HRD and with the current offer made a small saving, I am still getting used to the program, but IMHO it's well worth the money and I hope they continue to develop the software. I posted a small request for an addition to the log book function and got a rely quickly stating they would include it on the to do list, that's great support, you won't find that from a commercial software package try asking Microsoft to add something! HRD please keep up the good work.

13. N0RSN

N0RSN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DID not know that Thank you

14. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

But what if a new release contains both bug fixes and new features?

15. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to assume we will never see JT65 software in DM780 as promised a year ago?
    If not no need to renew my subscription. And yes I use it every day for logging and rig control. However the current version I have does that just fine. It is not that I am not happy with the software, I would like to have JT65 software added and without that then what I have now is fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.